Talk

Advanced search

One month speedy wifi n broadband, where do i get it from?

(15 Posts)
CountessVonKnackerstein Sat 04-Dec-10 17:35:37

Got sky broadband coming in one month!!
(as bt said I'd have to upgrade and sign a new 12month contract to get my knackered home hub replaced) but til then ... I need broadband and wireless if possible! Any ideas?

purepurple Sat 04-Dec-10 17:38:16

Dongle?
Ask a neighbour if you can share their wifi for a month?

NetworkGuy Sat 04-Dec-10 18:01:16

Depends how much you would use the internet, and what device(s) you want to connect.

Have you considered/ checked mobile network coverage ? How many GB of data do you expect to transfer ?

How much are you willing to spend (as I can imagine if it is this important to you, it may be to run a business) ?

CountessVonKnackerstein Sat 04-Dec-10 19:47:06

We connect with one laptop and two iPhones, we do everything on the three of them. Does that help any?

NetworkGuy Sat 04-Dec-10 20:25:29

Yes, but you might not like the suggestion (because of cost, or if Three gives no service where you are)!

If you got a Three mobile "mi-fi" (it's a mobile router that puts out a wi-fi signal for laptops, etc) and then get a 3 month/ 3 GB PAYG SIM, you'd be able to use the unit to share the 3 GB of web traffic between the units you have.

A brand new Mi-Fi unit costs 59.99 from Three (the model with mobile charger, so you would have a more attractive package to sell later if no longer needed), and then separately buy a SIM...

Most 3 mth/ 3 GB SIMs are on Ebay from 7.50 to 10.00 (and I have bought from Ebay with no problem). If you think you need more than 3 GB you should be able to get a fresh SIM posted before Christmas so you do not go without).

I use both mobile Three connection and landline and know how handy it is to have both (but I buy a SIM if I have nearly used up the monthly 15 GB allowance in the first 20 days of the month. If you expect to use less than 3 GB then some people are selling 1 GB but I would suggest not getting data upgrade from Three as the cost is higher direct.

CountessVonKnackerstein Sat 04-Dec-10 20:37:18

Ah, now 3 is a bit pants round here. Do O2 make anything similar?

NetworkGuy Sun 05-Dec-10 20:02:42

Have to admit no knowledge, and not even sure if an unlocked unit (from Three) will work, as Three uses 2100 MHz and not sure what other networks offer in your area.

I will see if I can find the OFCOM online search facility which shows masts near a postcode.

Have you checked the O2 web site for broadband options ? Are you a customer of O2 ? (I have PAYG mobiles on Orange, Virgin and Asda, SIMs for Vodafone and T-Mobile, and a data contract [not voice/text] with Three.)

CountessVonKnackerstein Sun 05-Dec-10 20:54:50

I'm on O2 with my iPhone, as is DH.
Thanks!

NetworkGuy Sun 05-Dec-10 22:08:47

Can your iPhone be tethered to allow the laptop access ?

Looks like internet will be via your iPhones, then, unless as someone else suggested, you can persuade a neighbour to allow you to access their broadband link via wi-fi.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Mon 06-Dec-10 16:23:21

Assuming that your BT broadband is still connected until the switch to Sky, get a cheap ADSL modem off ebay and use that until you get Sky.

CountessVonKnackerstein Mon 06-Dec-10 17:53:26

How do I know if im still connected to bt? There's no wifi signal or anything being received (iPhones and laptop can't see it anyway) so im thinking if I got a home hub off freecycle and plugged that in would that work? With my original bt number and broadband?

CruelAndUnusualParenting Tue 07-Dec-10 13:49:11

Are you still being billed for broadband? You probably pay your broadband and line rental in advance. Somebody with more experience of the switching process could probably advise, but I would normally expect BT to continue providing and billing for a broadband service until the switch is complete.

Just plugging in a home hub off Freecycle might well work, but it will probably need some need some setup. It shouldn't really matter whether it's a home hub. Any ADSL router should work,

CountessVonKnackerstein Tue 07-Dec-10 21:30:26

Yes I pay in advance, sky say the switch will be on 20th December. I'll have a look at a router, thanks for advice!!

CountessVonKnackerstein Thu 09-Dec-10 00:03:07

Plugged in a freecycle hub, works fine, helloooo mumsnet!

CruelAndUnusualParenting Thu 09-Dec-10 10:50:10

Excellent

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: