Talk

Advanced search

Parental control question for Netbooks

(7 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sat 04-Dec-10 11:51:50

Looking at getting DD a netbook. The ones we're looking at come with Win 7 starter. Now I believe that Windows 7 has strict parental controls that can be set, ie; only allowing access to named websites (chosen and set by parents). Does Win 7 starter have this facility?

NetworkGuy Sun 05-Dec-10 22:43:24

I searched for "Win 7 Parental control" and search engine found this Microsoft page that includes a list of versions with parental control, showing Window 7 Starter does indeed have it.

NetworkGuy Sun 05-Dec-10 22:47:32

Windows 7 does have a parental control facility, but reading further, there seems no mention of filtering by web site name.

I do not think that Microsoft's tool is as strict as you implied. Time for you to do much more research, I'm afraid !

VivaLeBeaver Sun 05-Dec-10 22:51:45

Thankyou, I'd tried googling and could find lots of stuff out about Win 7 but not Starter. At least there's somehting, will investigate further.

exexpat Sun 05-Dec-10 22:55:09

A lot of antivirus packages come with parental control filters or can have them as an add-on - have you looked at the one you use?

Niceguy2 Sun 05-Dec-10 23:02:46

Google k9 Internet security. It's free and way better than the built in controls.

However, nothing beats proper parental supervision

VivaLeBeaver Mon 06-Dec-10 12:25:33

K9 looks perfect, thank you so much. I am beginning to wonder if I've done the right thing getting her a netbook but we'll see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: