Talk

Advanced search

strange pop up on explorer...

(5 Posts)
ebonyfish Fri 03-Dec-10 13:09:31

I selected some text to copy (right click) and a pop up keeps appearing from Windows Internet Explorer saying

[triangle with exclamation mark]

"Have a nice day "

and wanting me to click "okay".

What's that about??!!

Don't like to click it in case it's dodgy.

Any ideas pleass?

BadgersPaws Fri 03-Dec-10 13:13:50

Does this happen on every site or just the one you're trying to copy text from.

This might be something that the author of the site has put in place to stop people copying text from their web site.

If it happens on every web site I'd be worried, let people know and we'll point you to some malware scanners.

ebonyfish Fri 03-Dec-10 13:29:06

Aaah, yes, have just successfully copied from another site.

So the author of the site with the pop up was just winking at me that they weren't going to let me copy their text, huh?

I get it. Thanks for your reply.

[would love to be brave enought to click on the pop up and see what it says next!]

BadgersPaws Fri 03-Dec-10 13:49:49

Well they're trying to stop you...

Once you've selected the text you can just try selecting copy from the edit menu and that might work.

Or you can view the source for the page and get at the text that way.

Do give some thought as to what you're doing though. The person who made that page doesn't want their text to be copied, what are you wanting to use it for?

ebonyfish Fri 03-Dec-10 13:52:44

Well, I've backed off using it now and found other sources.

It was just a list someone had made of things from a book. Lots of similar lists available that I've copied. Just using them as background info for research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now