Talk

Advanced search

ow do I find out if my printer is comparable with Airport Extreme?

(16 Posts)
SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 09:03:48

Preferably before I spend the money!

It's an HP Photosmart 3210.

prism Fri 03-Dec-10 09:37:52

Given the protocols involved I don't see how it could fail to work if it works when connected to your computer directly. Apple stops shot of saying this in case, I guess, someone manufactures one that works in a strange way that isn't compatible. But you won't be able to scan with it via the network.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 12:01:21

Yes, I can't see why it wouldn't work but they so say "with compatible printer" with no hints as to what will work. in my non-teccy head, all the Airport is doing is replacing a cable with some airy fairy magic.

prism Fri 03-Dec-10 12:43:38

I suspect they're trying to cover themselves against people who buy a printer that wouldn't work with the computer anyway and then try to blame it on Airport. But the printer driver is on the computer, and it rasterises the job, so as you say it's just airy fairy magic (or as Apple less stylishly call it, Bonjour for Windows or Mac OS X) and if it works on a USB cable, it will work through the air. But if my experience is anything to go by be prepared to switch your Airport Express off and on again occasionally.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 12:47:58

Ah, and therein lies another dilemma... Do I need Extreme, Express or Luton Airport?

prism Fri 03-Dec-10 13:09:35

Only if you're drinking Campari, I seem to remember. Or was it Martini?

If it's only to network a printer I wouldn't bother with either, personally - get a printer with networking built-in (preferably via ethernet) and be done with it.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 14:30:54

It's also to extend the range of my WiFi which doesn't quite reach to my bed... Or, thinking ahead to summer, down into my garden. I want to be able to print from DS1s laptop, my iPad and, eventually, DS2s laptop.

prism Fri 03-Dec-10 15:22:06

In that case you'll need your original wireless device to be fruit-flavoured as well- Airport Extreme, Time Machine, or another AP Express connected to a wired router. Theoretically you can do it with other devices but it can rapidly lead to insanity.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 17:30:12

I was under the impression (from the Apple site) that you simply (hahahahaha) plug your existing router into the Airport and away away with the fairies you go.

prism Fri 03-Dec-10 18:09:00

Oh yes, you can do that, and it is indeed a piece de gateau, but I can't see how that would extend your wifi range, as the AP Express would be close to the router- if you can't connect to the router wirelessly from your bed it's not certain you'll be able to connect to the AP Express.

Or am I missing something?

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 18:19:55

" It uses the latest 802.11n wireless technology, so you can enjoy up to five times the Wi-Fi performance and up to twice the range of 802.11g wireless networks. And improvements in antenna design give you up to 50 per cent better performance and up to 25 per cent better range than with the previous-generation AirPort Extreme Base Station."

I am assuming that it will be better than my existing wifi which uses a cheap thing provided by Virgin. It doesnt need to add much to the existing range to fit my needs as I can get a signal in bed but it's just one bar that dips out occasionally.

prism Fri 03-Dec-10 19:19:31

Aha. It'll probably help then, but bear in mind that the other device (the laptop) has to be 802.11n as well to get the benefit.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 21:38:07

The Other Device is an iPad.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Dec-10 21:39:54

This time last year, I had just got an iPhone. Now, as a family, we have 2 Nanos, an iPad and two new iTouches. hmm And I am coveting a super thin laptop. Fruit is taking over my house.

prism Sat 04-Dec-10 10:01:26

Hmm. Not too sure about how you'll get on trying to print from the the iPad via AP Express- I tried it myself and failed, but there's probably a better print utility for it now. Got rid of the iPad and got a MacBook Air instead (I really do like my keyboard with yer actual keys).

SoupDragon Sat 04-Dec-10 22:59:38

I vaguely recall that AirPrinting or some such dippy name was part of the new ipad OS.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: