Talk

Advanced search

Who is the IT support person in your house - you or DP (or DC)?

(15 Posts)
sethstarkaddersmum Thu 02-Dec-10 14:43:39

Am feeling v triumphant because I've finally got my new computer to talk to my old printer - had to download drivers from web and do all sorts of amazingly clever and impressive stuff.

It made me wonder, does every couple have one person who provides IT support? And if so is it the man more often than not, or equally divided between men and women?

Trubert Thu 02-Dec-10 14:51:58

I am the IT person. DH has no clue at all.

GregoryPeck Thu 02-Dec-10 14:53:37

DEFinitely me, DP rings me about three times a day to ask how to do basic things on his laptop grin. I find it slightly endearing as he is so capable in all other areas of life. He knows this and plays up to it hmm

DooinMeCleanin Thu 02-Dec-10 14:58:45

Me. If I am not available dd1. Dh barely knows how to turn the PC on.

I have a hellish couple of days with my printer. Drivers all present and correct, nozzles checked and cleaned. It was still telling me there was no paper when there clearly was and kept flitting between telling me we had no ink and lots of ink.

I gave up this morning and took the bloody thing apart, it had two pennies and a hairband wedged into it. It now prints, although quality is not superb, nozzles are very blcoked so that should improve after a few more cleans.

I told all this to Dh oo the phone and his reply was "Huh? Do you want me to buy this dog crate for The Devil Dog?"

DooinMeCleanin Thu 02-Dec-10 14:59:31

Oh yes and when it did want to print the pages still came out blank.

aBrightStarWithFestiveWays Thu 02-Dec-10 15:01:53

DH for sure. I am capable but have zero interest in techy stuff, whereas he loves gadgets, cables and software.

ItsJustMyOpinion Thu 02-Dec-10 15:02:29

I do all the IT stuff, dh is a tecnophob! I do most electrical and d.i.y work too, but on the flip side of the coin he does most of the housework. He would make a wonderful housewife

pagwatch Thu 02-Dec-10 15:03:00

Ds1 mainly just because he is so fucking quick. I have to just ignore his superior use of 'well obviously' when I check what he is doing

We then have the random factor of pretty much non verbal ds2 who will suddenly do stuff we cannot understand and we stand there trying to figure out how he did it and how to change it or do it again. Little git

sethstarkaddersmum Thu 02-Dec-10 15:09:31

wow. You are very impressive DooinMyCleanin - that is real IT person stuff, taking a printer apart <impressed>

at that rate your family will have to give you a little cubby hole office thing full of unused leads and old

DooinMeCleanin Thu 02-Dec-10 16:13:40

I have one blush

WingDad Thu 02-Dec-10 16:16:09

'Tis me. The wife has absolutely no clue haha!

lazydog Mon 06-Dec-10 17:24:59

Both of us in this household. My DH is employed as a Technical Analyst part time and is a self employed IT Consultant for the rest.

I used to be a software engineer, pre-kids, but that was after doing electronics at degree, so it seemed a natural choice to repair computers from home for a living when I wanted to stop going out to work and start a family.

craftynclothy Mon 06-Dec-10 17:28:27

Mostly DH. He works in IT though. I do a little bit myself when I can be arsed if it's easy wink

Ryoko Tue 07-Dec-10 17:21:34

I am the IT guy (lady) DF just clicks mouse buttons repeatedly and swears at things.

Man can't even build a flat pack DVD shelf properly, he can iron tho I can't....does that make me the man of the house confused

LynetteScavo Tue 07-Dec-10 17:37:27

DH

I once phoned him at work several times to ask him some questions. At one point he answered the phone, without knowing it was me saying "hello technical support". I could have been anyone! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: