Talk

Advanced search

Laptop Geeks Over Here, I Need Help (Sniff)

(8 Posts)
Monty27 Thu 02-Dec-10 13:41:12

Brand new laptop, started to set it up, got interrupted and closed it down, now I can't remember the password!! (I know, I know blush).

It's telling me to insert a disc (I don't have one) or a USB flashplayer (don't know what that means).

I'm nearly in tears

CruelAndUnusualParenting Thu 02-Dec-10 14:02:50

Had it completed the installation before it was closed down?

Monty27 Thu 02-Dec-10 14:54:09

Yes, I think so.

Thanks for reply.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Thu 02-Dec-10 14:59:30

OK, there are utilities out there to recover/reset passwords. If you can download ultimatebootcd and boot from it, it will give you access to this utility which should sort it for you.

Monty27 Thu 02-Dec-10 15:36:05

I hadn't even got as far as connecting it to the internet, just windows. So when I switch it on now it goes straight into asking for the password.

Aaargh <feels really thick>

Monty27 Thu 02-Dec-10 16:43:04

Cruel, thanks so much for your posts. DD came in and went through every possible conoctation of passwords that I would use and we got there. I feel really stupid (and very cross with myself for imcompetence)! I'm really good at using apps but know nothing of set-ups etc ifyswim.

Thanks again for your posts.

CruelAndUnusualParenting Thu 02-Dec-10 20:50:30

It's easily done. I have problems with my work systems when they insist on regular password changes. I have trouble thinking of more passwords that I can remember and are good enough to meet the security requirements.

Monty27 Fri 03-Dec-10 15:30:37

Same here Cruel, same here <shakes head in old gimmer fashion>

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: