Talk

Advanced search

What sort of camera do I want - bridge or good quality compact?

(8 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 12:16:26

I want to get a new camera, mainly for taking out with us on day trips and holidays so needs to be fairly comapct/portable. I like the idea of getting a bridge camera so I can do arty type photos and get into photoshop, etc. But in reality not sure I would do this. But I would like something with a good zoom for bird photos at the local nature reserve and also do be able to do macro.

Would something like a Panasonic TZ10 be good enough for macro and zoom shots.

I had been looking at the FZ38 for a bridge but have a nagging feeling that I'd end up leaving it at home more due to it being bigger.

tz10

fz38

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 12:21:40

The TZ10 says it has an automatic mode and then a manual mode and there is shutter priority and aperture priority. But how good are these non automatic features, as good as a bridge? Is it just the zoom that isn't as good?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 29-Nov-10 20:39:12

bump.

MmeLindt Mon 29-Nov-10 20:43:52

We have been looking at getting DD the Nikon L110.

I have the Nikon D40 and love it but it is too bulky for DD.

I would go for a bridge camera rather than a compact. It is a good stepping stone to a SLR.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 30-Nov-10 16:06:02

Thanks, think I will go for the bridge. I don't want to get the compact and then regret it.

indigobarbie Sat 04-Dec-10 22:52:39

I had the same predicament a few years back, and I researched as much as I could. I settled my choice for a Fuji bridge camera which has amazing optical zoom. However, the high speed continuous shooting that you can get with an SLR is really poor. I know, it's not the be all and end all, but it's something that annoys me, however it has a great wide angle lense, great zoom, and the macro and super macro are great too. I do find a bit a bulky to take out with me sometimes though

Niceguy2 Sun 05-Dec-10 23:06:42

How about the Canon powershot sx210?

My friend has this as a backup to her SLR. I've a SLR too but u am still impressed with the photos from this. Pocketable too

FreeButtonBee Sun 05-Dec-10 23:23:55

I have a canon S90- it is the dog's bollocks. Brill for everything (other than really long distance shots). I have learnt so much about how to actually use a camera since I bought it. it has a fully manual mode plus aperture and shutter priority settings as well as a brill auto mode and loads of pre sets. I also really like the ease of changing the ISO and all the other settings. It's not cheap but even people with fully manual DSRL cameras that are a few years old are startled at how good it is

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: