Talk

Advanced search

Sat Navs / Tom Toms- guidance needed please.

(6 Posts)
feelingfairlyfestive Sun 28-Nov-10 22:00:05

DH has just casually mentioned he would like a Tom Tom for Christmas. I wouldn't know where to start apart from I'm sure a generic brand would do. Any suggestions please? Bargains if possible.

Niceguy2 Sun 28-Nov-10 22:08:09

If you can afford it, I'd go with getting a TomTom.

The basic unit which is a TomTom Start you can get online for about £90.

They then can go up to stupid money depending on what features you want and what your budget is.

There's not point (IMO) in spending too much, some of the higher end features just aren't worth the money.

There are two reasons I say go for a TomTom.

Firstly I've found the interface to be logical and easy. This is very important when you think about it. The last thing you need when driving is to be faffing around trying to find the features you need or concentrating too much on what the map is saying.

Secondly, you can customise the TomTom with other voices easily. I think you can on some others but TomTom has the widest range. So you can have Darth Vader or Ozzy Osbourne directing you. A welcome change after a while from the stupid Jane voice.

A while back I bought a Garmin and took it back. It was nowhere near as easy to use as a TomTom.

You can get cheaper if your budget is limited. They'll all get you where you need to go.

Lastly unless you are likely to be driving abroad, give the Europe maps a miss. You are paying for a feature you won't use.

feelingfairlyfestive Sun 28-Nov-10 22:39:33

That all sounds very good- especially the Darth Vadar bit! Thanks.

Tortington Sun 28-Nov-10 22:44:56

DONT GET CHEAP shit, they are shit

i got dh an RAC one whic h is ok

the best i had was a tom tom

lucy101 Mon 29-Nov-10 09:49:17

Tom Tom are great. There are cheap ones on ebay too (bought 4 and all fine) some refurbs too which have guarantees.

I can't say I (or my wife) have found a Garmin hard to use. We got the Garmin Nuvi 1240 which is currently £80 from Amazon including European maps and a free map update. Navigation with the Garmin is dead easy. You get a "Where to" option on the front screen, select that and you can enter a post code or a town or and road name, select the house number and press go. It's as easy as that.

You can also search for places of interest very easily if you don't have the address.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now