Talk

Advanced search

I really want a touchscreen tablet, are the cheap ones worth it?

(7 Posts)
4andnotout Sun 28-Nov-10 13:32:46

I don't need one as already have an iPhone, laptop and pc but I do love a gadget grin

Have seen several for around £90 for a 7inch, are they any good for just general web browsing, facebooking etc?

4andnotout Sun 28-Nov-10 15:04:58

Bump.

JeffKnows Sun 28-Nov-10 15:25:21

Not right now, no. Perhaps in the future when touchscreen tablets become a bit more mainstream but as it stands all the quality is in the £300+ market.

Your iPhone would outclass any sub £200 tablet out, despite being smaller.

4andnotout Sun 28-Nov-10 16:02:57

I thought that would probably be the case, I may have to save for a secondhand iPad instead
Thank you

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Nov-10 21:50:21

I assume you mean an ePad or aPad (?)

I did see an Android 10.2" tablet at US$ 220 online today, but it's a bit more expensive than the type you mention (and running Android v2.1 not v2.2 yet).

I think it may be worth waiting until Android v3 is out and there will be a number of firms competing for business (and prices will be competitive).

Despite prices getting lower, I think it just needs a few more firms to make low cost tablets (and then standby for iPad vs Android users getting into arguments!)

Niceguy2 Sun 28-Nov-10 22:11:43

No no no.

The cheap tablets are resistive rather than capacitive. This means they are terrible to use as a touch device and you have to poke at them.

The battery on the cheaper models tend to only last a couple of hours which sounds fine but in practice will suck eggs.

Save up for either a Advent Vega or wait til next year when the iPad 2 comes out and pick up a 2nd hand iPad 1 cheap on ebay when all the fan bois are desperately upgrading.

Avoid the cheapos like the plague!!!

CruelAndUnusualParenting Mon 29-Nov-10 16:08:35

Horrible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: