Talk

Advanced search

I really want a touchscreen tablet, are the cheap ones worth it?

(7 Posts)
4andnotout Sun 28-Nov-10 13:32:46

I don't need one as already have an iPhone, laptop and pc but I do love a gadget grin

Have seen several for around £90 for a 7inch, are they any good for just general web browsing, facebooking etc?

4andnotout Sun 28-Nov-10 15:04:58

Bump.

JeffKnows Sun 28-Nov-10 15:25:21

Not right now, no. Perhaps in the future when touchscreen tablets become a bit more mainstream but as it stands all the quality is in the £300+ market.

Your iPhone would outclass any sub £200 tablet out, despite being smaller.

4andnotout Sun 28-Nov-10 16:02:57

I thought that would probably be the case, I may have to save for a secondhand iPad instead
Thank you

NetworkGuy Sun 28-Nov-10 21:50:21

I assume you mean an ePad or aPad (?)

I did see an Android 10.2" tablet at US$ 220 online today, but it's a bit more expensive than the type you mention (and running Android v2.1 not v2.2 yet).

I think it may be worth waiting until Android v3 is out and there will be a number of firms competing for business (and prices will be competitive).

Despite prices getting lower, I think it just needs a few more firms to make low cost tablets (and then standby for iPad vs Android users getting into arguments!)

Niceguy2 Sun 28-Nov-10 22:11:43

No no no.

The cheap tablets are resistive rather than capacitive. This means they are terrible to use as a touch device and you have to poke at them.

The battery on the cheaper models tend to only last a couple of hours which sounds fine but in practice will suck eggs.

Save up for either a Advent Vega or wait til next year when the iPad 2 comes out and pick up a 2nd hand iPad 1 cheap on ebay when all the fan bois are desperately upgrading.

Avoid the cheapos like the plague!!!

Horrible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now