Talk

Advanced search

Anyone bought a Xbox 360 since 2009?

(10 Posts)
nappyaddict Wed 24-Nov-10 00:34:06

I know they used to have problems with the red rings of death and also overheating and there was a big product recall in 2008.

Have been thinking of buying one but I don't want to get one if it still has technical problems like overheating etc.

KittyFloss Wed 24-Nov-10 00:51:48

I don't think they have the same problems, they don't have the 3 year warranty anymore, so I think they are more stable.

We bought one in 2006, and eventually it developed the dreaded rrod. I phoned xbox support and we had precisely 6 hours left on our 3 year warranty shock. That was so effing lucky. They came and took it away and replaced it with a new one.

You could buy a second hand one from game or hmv etc. They all come with a years warranty anyway, same as the manufacturer, plus less outlay should it go kaboom.

cheesebaby Wed 24-Nov-10 01:05:34

DH says "the slims are fine"

I have no idea what this means but I think it indicates the new shape model seems free of the old troubles.

NetworkGuy Wed 24-Nov-10 04:37:16

KittyFloss - how does "not having 3 years warranty" mean they are any more stable ?

To me, if they are less stable they might reduce the warranty so any fault developing after 24 months becomes owners' problem and not give them grief in having to replace.

Not too many years ago, many Hard Drives had a 5 year or even "lifetime" warranty but as capacity went up from 3 GB to 20, 40, 80, 160, 250 GB the warranty has dropped to 1 year on most of them. It is a while since I can remember seeing 3 year or even 2 year warranty on any hard drive. Now the prices have come down so it is relatively cheap to buy an external 500 GB (or larger) drive and back everything up onto that.

Niceguy2 Wed 24-Nov-10 10:08:24

As Cheesbaby's DH says "The slims are fine". In fact, they'd solved it with the Jasper core models but there's really not much point getting the old model now. The slim's are smaller and WAY quieter.

TechLovingDad Wed 24-Nov-10 11:48:37

I had my original 2005 model for 5 years before it finally went kaput.

I have an Elite now, not the sexy new slim, but am confident I will have no problems.

nappyaddict Wed 24-Nov-10 15:59:03

Does Xbox 360 Slim have better graphics than the PS3?

TechLovingDad Wed 24-Nov-10 17:35:22

No.

nappyaddict Thu 25-Nov-10 17:09:50

So PS3 has better graphics or are they both the same?

Ryoko Fri 26-Nov-10 12:54:11

Both about the same.

Too early for the slim to be judged as being RROD free, RROD is covered by a 3 year warranty anyway, what product recall? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now