Talk

Advanced search

iphone 4 16gb or ipod touch 8 gb?

(13 Posts)
frazzled74 Sun 21-Nov-10 20:59:30

which is best for playing music? should i buy ipod touch and cheap phone or iphone 4?(this is for ds and i want it to be suprise so cant ask] please help me am rubbish at technology.

squarehat Sun 21-Nov-10 21:08:00

Iphone 4 would be great for music and its a phone so 2 in 1 there, will cost a few quid tho. I have an ipod touch and an x10 mini, iphone looks a bit big for my liking.

amazonianwoman Sun 21-Nov-10 22:23:53

iPhone 4, it does everything! I'm all for devices which can carry out as many tasks as possible. Sending this on my iPhone 4 and listening to music right now smile

frazzled74 Sun 21-Nov-10 22:36:03

so the iphone can store as much music as an ipod touch plus is a phone?

amazonianwoman Sun 21-Nov-10 22:46:36

I don't how big the touch is, but I have the 16gb iPhone with lots of music and loads of apps and it's only half full. You can also get a 32gb iphone.

If your DS needs a new phone/contract I'd go for the iPhone. Depending on which contract you go for the iPhone is around £120. Isn't the touch at least £160? Of course if you aren't buying the iPhone with a contract it'll cost a lot more.

lucy101 Sun 21-Nov-10 22:49:04

I have a Blackberry and an ipod touch it's a good combo as I wouldn't want to use an iphone (and I love mac products) for various reasons.

Niceguy2 Mon 22-Nov-10 15:49:56

The new ipod touch is for all intents and purposes an iphone without the phone.

So it really depends on if you want your DS to have an iphone 4 as his phone.

iPod will naturally be way cheaper at £180 for the 8GB whereas the iPhone 4 will set you back £500 for the 16GB contract free and about £800+ on contract over 2 years.

Depends on if you can afford the phone and can justify it. Personally I'd go for the ipod.

llareggub Mon 22-Nov-10 15:54:30

I have the iphone4 and it is rubbish as a phone. It drops calls all the time, rings my voicemail in the middle of a call and mutes my calls when it feels like. It is possibly the worst phone I have ever had, and it strikes me that whenever I've ventured away from Nokia (only twice!) I've regretted it. On the other hand, my DH has the earlier version and he hasn't had any problems at all.

I do have an itouch and it is fab. I don't know how big it is or anything useful but it seems to hold quite a bit. I haven't filled it up, put it that way!

BadgersPaws Mon 22-Nov-10 16:06:20

"The new ipod touch is for all intents and purposes an iphone without the phone."

Not quite, the most immediate difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPod Touch is that the camera in the Touch is quite simply rubbish.

The iPhone4 has a 5MP camera with a flash and a digital zoom.

The iPod Touch gets lumbered with a 0.7MP camera and I don't believe it has a flash or a zoom. That's substantially worse than even the very first iPhone received.

Aside from the camera the iPhone is also a bit more powerful, but you might not notice that.

So be aware of that if you opt for an iPod Touch, you're getting something that's been deliberately nobbled for marketing reasons to give people reasons to get an iPhone.

frazzled74 Mon 22-Nov-10 19:43:01

thanks, he has an ipod touch but this has broken(cant be fixed)so he has asked for a new one. His phone contract is up for renewal so it probably makes sense to get the iphone. thanks for all your advice.

Niceguy2 Tue 23-Nov-10 16:21:36

>>>I have the iphone4 and it is rubbish as a phone. It drops calls all the time, rings my voicemail in the middle of a call and mutes my calls when it feels like.<<<

I have quite a few friends and myself included with iphone 4's and not one of us have had problems with it ringing voicemail during a call and muting your call.

Are you sure the proximity sensor on the phone is working properly? This deactivates the display when the phone is brought near your face during a call. This is done to save battery power and to prevent inadvertent inputs from your face and ears. If its not working then that could be why its randomly doing stuff.

llareggub Tue 23-Nov-10 16:40:13

Niceguy, thank you so much for posting. I have NO idea if the proximity sensor is working, but it sounds like a plausible reason. Should I take it along to an Apple Store or just send back to Vodafone, do you think? It is a contract phone on a business tariff.

Niceguy2 Wed 24-Nov-10 10:38:08

It should be pretty easy to test. Make a call and during the call put the phone to your ear. After a few secs, move the phone away and the screen should change from black (turned off) to coming on so you can press buttons.

You can also just cover the top half of the phone with your hand during a call if you like without putting it to your head. The main thing is that the screen turns itself off. If it doesnt then there's your problem. Chances are your accidentally pressing buttons with your ear! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now