Talk

Advanced search

Can you buy a mobile that you can have 2 sims in (occasionally)

(12 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 20-Nov-10 10:43:18

Or am I stuck with carrying 2 phones sometimes?

Hardandsleazy Sat 20-Nov-10 10:49:34

Dunno about a mobile but I had a device that held two sims that you put in the sim slot and let you switch between two?

KatyMac Sat 20-Nov-10 10:51:47

blush

What's a device?

Hardandsleazy Sat 20-Nov-10 14:13:06

Something like this - dual sim it's not officially supported as you can imagine by most networks and prob won't work if your handset is tied to one network. You may also need to trim your sims to fit as basically it's a small
Metal holder that squashes two sims together to fit into the sim slot. That said I had no trouble using mine when I had it(although you do lose text when you switch between phones).

KatyMac Sat 20-Nov-10 20:13:03

I bought an ordinary phone & will divert calls from my work mobile after hours

Hardandsleazy Sat 20-Nov-10 21:32:25

That's what I used it for - even if bog standard you can usually get it unlocked at independent shops

Danthe4th Sat 20-Nov-10 21:37:50

If you google dual sim loads come up try this one www.prepaymania.co.uk/mobilephone/samsung-c5212-du al-sim-fizz-unlocked.html?base

ShittyBangBang Sun 21-Nov-10 07:37:53

Yes, you can get duel sim mobiles. Check ebay or as Danthe says, prepaymania.

NetworkGuy Sun 21-Nov-10 13:44:00

Certainly in the past, depending on what models your phones are, there have been alternative back covers that can hold 2 SIMs and cost 5 to 15 quid.

However, you do need to consider whether messing about with the SIM (trimming them to fit) is worthwhile and also that one phone will need to be unlocked.

Orange has offered "Line 2" in the past where a second number can be used. However, it would depend on

A) whether your contracts have a long time to run (to easily allow you to move the numbers to Orange)

B) whether Orange coverage is adequate where you are

C) whether Orange offers the Line 2 facility at an affordable price

D) whether you would mind changing to Orange and whether they have similar bundles for the same cost

Keeping the accounts separate may be better for clarity over "business costs" and "personal use" and while Orange billing for both and showing "Line 2" info separately (new page) might be OK, paying from one bank account may make this too messy.

NetworkGuy Sun 21-Nov-10 13:45:26

That Samsung looks interesting, though do note it is 2G (so if you have any data allowance on existing mobiles, things would be slow if they work at all).

NetworkGuy Sun 21-Nov-10 13:46:54

Finally for now, if one of your existing mobiles is on Three, then you would likely lose a number of facilities as most use 2100 MHz for internet and voice, and drop back to lower frequencies if there is no coverage. A Three SIM may not work in the Samsung at all.

KatyMac Sun 21-Nov-10 14:05:03

Guys - I gave up & bought a nice shiney purple one (that I don't know how to use) but the nice lady in the shop showed me how to divert calls from my old one to my new one

I am happy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now