Talk

Advanced search

how many mb do i need for a mobile phone/internet

(8 Posts)
FoJo Fri 19-Nov-10 10:35:55

Plse help me. Am looking at various plans for a blackberry for my daughter. (I know they;re not everyones number 1 choice but shes adamant thats what she wants), anyway, how many 'mb' do we need? What does it represent? I'm looking at plans that offer 500mb per month. I dont envisage her to be on it all of the time, can anyone give me an idea what 500mb represents in minutes of internet access?

Thanks

FoJo Fri 19-Nov-10 10:51:11

sorry i was being very lazy there, found it here
http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/what-does-500m b-or-1gb-internet-actually-mean-explaining-mobile- data-limits

(bet that doesnt work)

FoJo Fri 19-Nov-10 10:51:26

i knew it wouldnt!

NetworkGuy Fri 19-Nov-10 18:43:21

This http://tinyurl.com/MobileDataLimitsExplained may work better.

Problem is that MN message board software puts a space into very long strings, so kills lengthy weblinks.

It depends on whether the Blackberry allows your DD to block big messages. Sometimes a friend or relative thinks it is a great idea to send an e-mail with all their holiday / party / wedding snaps. She only needs someone to send her a 25 MB message to lose a chunk of her allowance.

You don't mention what she would be using it for - owners probably use e-mail more than browsing (as e-mail is its major 'plus'). If she wants to watch clips off YouTube and use websites a lot, it may be worth a rethink...

NetworkGuy Fri 19-Nov-10 18:44:02

(Click the 'This' above!)

FoJo Sat 20-Nov-10 13:05:33

thanks, network guy. presumably if someone did send her an email like that and she knew it had attachments so didnt open them but did it on computer instead that would be ok?

NetworkGuy Sun 21-Nov-10 01:33:37

It all depends on the software. If the phone can dtermine before downloading that there are attachments, then it would be fine.

However, one of the main 'features' of Blackberry phones (only based on reading, unfortunately I don't have one), is that unlike many (/*most*) e-mail facilities, the BB has "push" technology where new mail is sent to the phone as soon as it arrives at the RIM (makers of BB) servers.

The "plus" part of this is that for (urgent | business) (*) e-mail, it comes through to your phone ASAP, instead of depending on some task asking "any new mail" every 15 (or however many) minutes.

If there is some BB user who can answer whether they can set a limit on the size of incoming e-mail messages then that would be a real help.

I suspect it also depends on the network one uses. Some may make features easily available to users.

(*) It was originally sold as a business phone for the e-mail facility in particular, hence the slide-away QWERTY keyboard that should make composing replies much easier than typical hit key 1/2/3/4 times to get a single letter.

Tee2072 Sun 21-Nov-10 08:29:03

I don't know about on the BB but on the iPhone you can turn 'push' off. I would find out if you can do the same with the BB.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: