Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone reccomend me a good Netbook or similar?

(12 Posts)
TitsalinaBumSquash Thu 11-Nov-10 22:21:09

I wanted an Ipad or some nifty touch screen doohicky but we just can't afford that much money.
Does anyone have a good Net book or similar that didn't cost loads? I want it to be easily portable and have Wifi anything else is a bonus!

NetworkGuy Fri 12-Nov-10 10:04:19

Have a look at the thread 'Window 7 or XP'

Decide if you want something with 10"screen or larger (some laptops might be had for similar money 200-250-300 pounds) or does it really need to be netbook-ish size for portability ?

What do you want it for - if WP or any work with a spreadsheet, I would recommend bigger screens, and for browsing, some sites may not be easy to view with a small screen - eg BBC site).

Come back with more on what aspects are essential, or add to other thread, perhaps?

TitsalinaBumSquash Fri 12-Nov-10 12:47:55

Thanks.

I'm not to bothered about screen size.

I will need Word or Open Office for collage work and Wifi so i can coonect to the collage/libary internet easily.

I don't use spreadsheets.

Im not sure about size i just need it to be easily portable, i walk most places so need it to be light weight to carry around.

I have seen a lot of there Google Android tablet things about... do you know if they are any good?

NetworkGuy Fri 12-Nov-10 14:20:13

The ones around 100 pounds (aPad or ePad) are older versions of Android and as someone else put it, "ideal for her 8yo", but I suspect a bit limited for your needs.

For browsing, WP and being portable, there are some EEE netbooks from 150 (refurbished 8.9" screen) to 210 (10.1" screen, new) both categories running Windows XP. You can judge the pros and cons of XP vs Win 7 from the other thread...

You might also consider a separate flexible keyboard from Ebuyer (so as not to wear out the keyboard, and it might be a bit larger (I submitted a query about the size)

A flexible one will roll up and should be fairly light so could be taken out with you if you prefer it...

NetworkGuy Fri 12-Nov-10 14:23:28

One costing 200 quid (free delivery) is at Expansys

nocake Fri 12-Nov-10 15:11:30

My DW has a Samsung netbook. She chose it because she hates the shiny (and reflective) screens that so many laptops have and the Samsung has a matt screen. It seems pretty good. It's not as quick as a laptop but none of them are. The keyboard is nice to use, the screen is very clear, it's light to carry around and the battery lasts for absolutely ages.

The Android tablets are fairly new and will have the same problem as the iPad if you're word processing... no keyboard. The on-screen keyboard is fine for texting and posting to MN but they're a pain if you're typing anything longer.

NetworkGuy Fri 12-Nov-10 17:27:50

which is where a plug-in flexi kbd may help

pigsinmud Sat 13-Nov-10 17:03:50

Can I hijack!

We want to get ds2 a netbook for Christmas. Not sure where to start. He watches iplayer and plays runescape ....those are his criteria!

Have been looking at the Acer Aspire d260.
Any advice?

NetworkGuy Sat 13-Nov-10 21:02:14

As far as I can tell, Runescape should be OK, but Runescape HD might need an nVidia graphics card, so would perhaps be better on a desktop.

I suggest you create a new thread asking directly about recommendations for a suitable netbook to use for Runescape, here in geeky_stuff (and search for any section for gamers as smeone else may know any requirements far better than I).

pigsinmud Sat 13-Nov-10 23:44:46

Ok thanks.

witchinthewindows Sun 14-Nov-10 00:08:09

I'm using samsung nc10, works fine, no problems whatsover, and you do get used to the small screen/keyboard

Ilythia Sun 14-Nov-10 12:07:41

I have a smasung nc10 and love it, it fits in my (admittedly rather large) handbag and the charge lasts all day. I am a student teacher so use it all over the palce and it connects easily and fires up faster than the school laptops. The keyboard is small but I have a usb mouse and number keypad which helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: