Talk

Advanced search

What ipod for DH?

(7 Posts)
StarkAndWitchesWillFindYou Wed 10-Nov-10 19:05:48

He's a bit of a techno-phobe (Depite being in electronic engineering hmm) and he likes to listen to interviews and stuff, comedy and some music.

What is simple and cheap.

He has never had, nor ever will have a mobile phone.

Many thanks

StarkAndWitchesWillFindYou Wed 10-Nov-10 19:06:15

Sorry. It's is birthday next week. that's why I'm asking.

NetworkGuy Wed 10-Nov-10 20:41:46

Do you really mean iPod or MP3 player ?

Do you already have sources for downloading interviews and other material such as Juice (a podcast downloader, though others exist) ?

Are you using Mac or PC at present ?

Do you have the ability to record shows off radio on your PC (I have a DAB radio plugged in so can record 24x7 if I want, onto hard drive). I'm just thinking of the rich source of comedy already available and which doesn't need to be 'downloaded' but simply recorded on the PC as an MP3 (I use Total Recorder and can recommend it).

Here's an MP3 player but please note the price is far too high - I paid around 10+VAT for this model close on 2 years ago, and there are now 4 GB models around from the same firm.

StarkAndWitchesWillFindYou Wed 10-Nov-10 20:49:26

'Do you really mean iPod or MP3 player ?'

Oooh. I don't know. Thing is, I have an ipod and somewhere on some old laptop somewhere I have itunes with all my music on, some of which dh would probably like.

'Do you already have sources for downloading interviews and other material such as Juice (a podcast downloader, though others exist) ?'

No. I no nothing obviously. I don't know how you get such things off the internet.

'Are you using Mac or PC at present ?'

PC

'Do you have the ability to record shows off radio on your PC (I have a DAB radio plugged in so can record 24x7 if I want, onto hard drive). I'm just thinking of the rich source of comedy already available and which doesn't need to be 'downloaded' but simply recorded on the PC as an MP3 (I use Total Recorder and can recommend it).'

I don't know, but I think you make a good point about what is already out there. DH won't be bothered about new stuff particularly.

Oh dear. I fear this is much more complicated than I thought. Perhaps a couple of bottles of beer.

NetworkGuy Wed 10-Nov-10 20:53:43

Do any on this list appeal ?

NB "Foehn + Hirsch" is Ebuyer's own branding (presumably for imports from China/ aiwan/ S Korea, etc) but given a German sounding name to appeal to those seeking higher quality.

I'm not suggesting they're poor quality but just be aware they are sold as if they aren't own brand 'value' products.

At 40 quid this 8GB unit seems capable of doing whatever is needed, with reasonable battery life too.

NetworkGuy Wed 10-Nov-10 22:04:50

If you check some of the other threads (esp for pots by BadgersPaw) you may see hints and tips about using iTunes and saving music to be played on MP3 players.

Don't worry too much about downloading podcasts if you have options to get audio from the radio and CDs already.

You might consider checking that any player you get has a 3.5mm socket (rather than something special) so that if you want to add some speakers later on, it will be easy. Some PC speakers would probably do for a study / work room and should be easy to find at 15 to 30 quid.

There are now power strips with 4 or more mains sockets and a couple of USB sockets (suitable for powering items [such as a small LED desk lamp] / recharging devices), so something like that might be useful for a bedside table if he likes to listen to a comedy show on headphones without having a bigger light on that may disturb you...

BadgersPaws Wed 10-Nov-10 22:35:57

iPod's aren't cheap, well compared to some other players, but they really are pretty simple and very good. The Shuffle's start off at a list price of £39 though you can often find them a few pounds cheaper.

Personally I find iPods to be well built and very easy to manage via iTunes. It's really not that complicated and a big part of how Apple have built their reputation up is by making it all very easy. But that said if you are prepared to work a bit harder and accept something not quite as "nice" then there are cheaper ways of getting your hands on an MP3 player.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: