Talk

Advanced search

500mb data allowance on smart phone...enough?

(13 Posts)
NinkyNonker Sun 07-Nov-10 21:51:34

Hi All,

I'm awaiting delivery of my new smartphone (HTC Desire HD) and have it on a £25 p/m deal from Orange which includes 500mb data.

All I'm planning on using it for when out and about is:
- Calling/texting
- Emailing via Hotmail
- Maybe MSN Msgr or Skype Chat
- Facebook browsing/uploading pics
- Maybe taking video clips and uploading them on the odd occassion.

I have Wifi at home so would obviously use that when at home and would always look when out and about, but does 500 mb sound ok for light-ish use? I might be being optimistic.

Does anyone know if this phone will go to wifi as default or do I have to keep an eye on it? Any decent apps anyone can recommend to monitor data useage/find wifi hotspots etc would be appreciated too.

Many thanks!

nannynick Sun 07-Nov-10 22:32:21

I use my Nokia quite a bit for internet, yet only seem to use 75 to 100 MB a month in data.
Video use will use up data far quicker than e-mail... so 500MB sounds fine for general usage.
With luck your billing system will report how much data you use, so after a few months you can add-on extra data allowance if necessary.

No idea about what features the phone has.

ArthurPewty Sun 07-Nov-10 22:37:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rocketbird Sun 07-Nov-10 22:40:46

Plenty. The one thing you must never never do is use the phone to listen to the radio online. A built in FM receiver is fine, streaming it from the internet will massively go over your allowance. I speak from bitter experience.

Using the phone as a radio for maybe three or four hours a day over the course of a long weekend sent my data usage up to nearly 2GB. Luckily I was on unlimited at the time or I'd have paid heavily for that. Everything you have listed above will easily be covered.

SaorAlba Sun 07-Nov-10 22:42:47

I have a 500mb contract and have never come close to it. I also use WiFi at home. I wouldn't upload video when out of the house though, but I do use gps navigation about once a week, sometimes for fairly lengthy journeys.

AitchTwoOh Sun 07-Nov-10 22:49:42

the woman in the vodaphone shop told me that 97% of their customers don't go over 200mb, if that helps at all?

ArthurPewty Mon 08-Nov-10 06:51:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NetworkGuy Mon 08-Nov-10 09:47:07

Some useful figures concerning usage there. Always good to have 'real life' figures and not estimates from websites / magazines.

Unfortunately for the other 3% (who go over 200 MB) the 500 MB might be a low limit. It is going to take some time before the bulk of networks rethink and charge more reasonable amounts (like 50p per GB, which is what I am paying Three... 15 GB/month for 7.50)

AitchTwoOh Mon 08-Nov-10 10:10:53

i have only recently got my htc desire, so will await my first bill with some trepidation.
as a matter of interest, however, can anyone explain rss feeds, downloading podcasts etc? i am hoping to download stuff using the wireless so that it's there when i am out and about, is that right? am using google listen.

Danthe4th Mon 08-Nov-10 10:14:07

I have been fine with mine and using it much the same as you . Download the 3g watchdog app as it will keep track of how much you use.

NinkyNonker Mon 08-Nov-10 11:34:07

Cool, thanks all. I was torn between the HTC Desire and Desire HD, I went for the HD in the end as I figured if i was going to have it for 2 yrs I might as well start out with the more up-to-date one. But I didn't want to spend more than £25 p/m so couldn't get more than 500mb. By the sounds of it I should be ok, I don't have to commute on the train or whathaveyou so won't be needing Youtube as a distraction! Will look at the radio thing, this one has a receiver so should be ok.

NetworkGuy Mon 08-Nov-10 13:36:26

Depends, AitchTwoOh on what you use to download podcasts (which can run to quite a lot of MB in size).

I can only suggest you disable downloads whenever you are not using the wi-fi. Oh, and watch out in case you move from one room to another and somehow get screened from the home wi-fi router...

One system, called Sonos (top end music system, allowing multiple rooms each to play different music from internet/music server), which builds its own wi-fi network (as the remote control can change what plays in any room), needed a small repeater to serve a lady's dressing room where she had a full height fitted mirror (the silver backing was forming a screen and stopping the signals).

You can just imagine downloading off the wi-fi, making a call to someone, walking into the kitchen and finding the remainder of the download comes via your data allowance. It may be better to download podcasts on a PC and put a micro-SD card into the phone with the downloaded items on that.

However, as far as I know, while the mobile can take 32 GB microSD cards, you may need a special USB adaptor. A 2 GB micro-SD is not likely to be a problem (the higher capacity cards are marked 'SDHC'). Finally, you will need an adaptor allowing a microSD card to be put into an SD reader, as the microSD cards are really tiny!

AitchTwoOh Mon 08-Nov-10 13:50:56

tbh i actively switch my 3g on when i'm out if i want to use it, i am pretty terrified of accidentally going over. i'm a data wimp. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now