Talk

Advanced search

Can I install an HD sky plus box myself?

(16 Posts)
DomesticGoddessInTraining Tue 13-Jul-10 13:05:04

We're just about to upgrade to a sky HD box and been offered the option to install it ourselves for free or pay £60 for an engineer to install it.

Has anyone done a self-install for a sky HD box, and if so, was it relatively straightforward?

jenroy29 Tue 13-Jul-10 14:21:56

I don't know the technicalities of swapping your boxes over sorry we don't have any tellies that are ready! but hang on a minute, this so annoys me about sky it's like paying to go into a shop to buy something. You are agreeing to pay an extra £10 a month to watch the HD channels, don't pay £60 for the privelidge!
Whenever we have a problem with our sky box we ring them up and tell them to come and sort it! We rang up last year, said we wanted a sky+ or we would reduce our package, two weeks later the sky+ box was installed for free.
Earlier this year a door to door person (I can't remember the company) offered me a great broadband and phone package, so I emailed sky, they phoned back and I got half price landline, which worked out better!

jenroy29 Tue 13-Jul-10 14:23:43

Actually you've just reminded me to send an email to them about the unlimited broadband being offered to new customers for £7.50 a month instead of the £15 I'm paying now, thanks!

mummylin2495 Tue 13-Jul-10 14:32:24

A friend of ours did his own but had telephone help.Maybe you could do this ?

NetworkGuy Tue 13-Jul-10 15:25:12

If you already have Sky+ (so have 2 cables from the satellite) and a phone socket nearby, I'd expect it to go fairly smoothly.

I don't have Sky, so don't know if they include an HDMI cable for you to plug between the box and your HD TV, but have you searched online in any UK web forum about installing Sky HD ?

Just that you might see a comment on needing to leave it for a few hours to update something (or get a code sent from Sky which causes the box to phone them back) or whatever...

Maybe when an engineer visits, he can dial them on some other number to get any codes sent out via the satellite while he is at customer's home, so it needs some of their tech support time (so the engineer probably gets a portion of the 60 quid).

flossie64 Tue 13-Jul-10 15:28:54

We just had sky HD fitted -they installed a new dish aswell- old one not compatible. All done for free by their engineer, and we are not paying £10 per month extra for it.

sorky Tue 13-Jul-10 15:32:30

Of course you can, I did!!
You do get a booklet to guide you through it. Just remember to ring them to register the channels afterwards, otherwise it won't work properly.

£60 is a rip off. As is the £100 charge for someone to fit a telly on the wall....

DomesticGoddessInTraining Tue 13-Jul-10 18:36:40

Thanks everyone, we're going to try and push them to fit it for free but good to know that others have done it. I did buy an extra Hdmi cable when we bought our tv and we already have sky plus so should already have the cables.

We've had loads of problems with our Sky over the years and had to threaten to leave on more than one occasion so sympathies with others who've had problems. It's ridiculous that there's no rewards for loyalty - just incentives for new customers!

Anyone else done the self-install?

MrsTicklemouse Tue 13-Jul-10 18:46:18

We did, easy as pie!

duplotogo Tue 13-Jul-10 18:50:41

We have just had Sky+ HD added where we only had normal Sky before, the dish is the same, cables are the same, the only difference is the Sky+ box plugs into the TV with an HDMI cable now and you've got that so it should be OK I reckon.

DomesticGoddessInTraining Wed 14-Jul-10 12:23:07

Thanks everyone, we've just gone with the self-install as it will be a lot quicker. If I get stuck I know where to come for help... grin

MixedNutPlate Wed 14-Jul-10 12:25:59

We did a self install and then sky sent round a engineer for free as the box didn't install properly.

DomesticGoddessInTraining Wed 14-Jul-10 12:35:17

Good to know mixednutplate.

MixedNutPlate Wed 14-Jul-10 12:51:33

We called them 4 times and each time they tried to sort it their end until they conceded defeat, after install one 1 input registered, it didn't matter which cable was attached on,y input 1 had a signal, so no recording etc.

Lesson, call and call and call then a free install.

DomesticGoddessInTraining Sat 17-Jul-10 14:13:45

Box arrived this morning (much quicker than waiting ages and having to stay in all day for an engineer) and it's taken no time at all!

Thanks everyone, you saved me £60 (or having to spend ages on the phone trying to wangle a free installation).

sophiajones Wed 13-Jun-18 12:28:43

If you want to install Sky+ HD box, then follow the steps mentioned in the below link

www.followthesteps.net/how-to-setup-sky-hd-box/

You are unable to set up sky HD box, then you can call the sky customer service number for help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: