Talk

Advanced search

Mildew on sweetpeas - anything I can do?

(4 Posts)
Issymum Mon 01-Aug-05 16:57:32

This is my first year of growing sweetpeas and they have been glorious (sorry Twinset!), with healthy foliage and abundant flowers. They've looked and smelt gorgeous and I've been cutting them in the long summer evening reviving idyllic childhood memories until ...... it p*ssed down for 10 days solidly and now they are covered in a nasty grey powdery mildew and refusing to flower again. Anything I can do about the mildew? I suspect the reluctance to flower may be connected with the fact that I let them 'pod' during the very rainy days. Help - I want to get back to the happy childhood bit!

WigWamBam Mon 01-Aug-05 17:07:44

Mildew is often caused by over-crowding, or poor air circulation. You can use an anti-fungal spray, but if you want to avoid chemicals then you could try cutting off any old lower leaves, which might help to improve the air circulation, and reduce the chances of further infection.

Issymum Mon 01-Aug-05 17:18:44

Thanks WWB. Are anti-fungal sprays effective? I'm happy to zap a bit of chemical around to achieve a childhood idyll!

WigWamBam Mon 01-Aug-05 17:27:36

They're more effective the earlier they're used, but yes, they can be very effective. Just use a general fungicide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now