Talk

Advanced search

Nasty mould/moss stuff growing on my tree!

(13 Posts)
runtus Thu 28-Jul-05 11:18:17

We have an established birch tree in the garden that appears to be covered in a mould/moss type parasite and I was ondering if anyone knew how to get rid of it??

It looks very much like the lychen stuff that covers roof tiles around us, sort of yellow white in colour and seemingly harmless. I think it is stunting the tress growth though and it never really seems to produce adequate leaves etc.

Any ideas anyone??

WigWamBam Thu 28-Jul-05 11:32:40

Birch trees commonly grow things like lichens, fungi and mosses, they're one of those trees that has a symbiotic relationship with such things and both the tree and the parasite normally thrive.

I'd be surprised if it was the lichen that was stunting the tree's growth - more likely to be poor soil.

runtus Thu 28-Jul-05 13:57:09

WWB - thanks for the help, now you mention it you may be right. Our garden has appalling soil (due to developer simply filling it up with builders rubble and a crap top soil full of flint and chalk) so I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was doing it.

If that is the case, should I think abuot feeding the tree speficifally to combat the poor soil? I can't do anything about the soil itself (as it is that impossible to dig over!)but maybe I could supplement the tree itself externally? I already use a rose and plat feed on other areas......

Any help much appreciated.

WigWamBam Thu 28-Jul-05 23:59:38

It might be the chalk it doesn't like. Is there any way you could get even a couple of shovelfuls of something like a well-rotted manure or compost into the soil? Otherwise you could try some pelleted fertiliser (we use one made from chicken poo, stinks to high heaven and drives the local cats crazy, but it works) or some blood, fish and bone powder around the roots of the tree.

Chandra Fri 29-Jul-05 00:07:38

Oh dear, I better go to sleep! I read the title of the thread as "Nasty mould/moss stuff growing on my feet!"

WigWamBam Fri 29-Jul-05 00:09:52

PMSL Chandra

No, I don't think well-rotted manure would do much for your feet ...

Chandra Fri 29-Jul-05 00:19:30

I didn't get that far WWB, but I suspect well roted manure may not just remove the mould/moss from your feet, it may even remove your feet if applied carefully

WigWamBam Fri 29-Jul-05 00:20:33

Given the general grottiness and hobbit-like appearance of my feet, it might actually be worth a try

Chandra Fri 29-Jul-05 00:22:03

Oh no!, you will get smelly feet (the real thing I mean )

WigWamBam Fri 29-Jul-05 00:23:33

They can't get much worse than they already are ... (I know, I know, too much information)

Chandra Fri 29-Jul-05 00:28:53

I'm going to pretend I don't know such details about yourself

runtus Fri 29-Jul-05 13:59:26

Cheers guy, am I right in thinking you tow are having a bit of a Friday moment?! Manure on your feet indeed, whatever next!!

I have some blood, fish and bone stuff already.....I'll give it a bash!

WigWamBam Fri 29-Jul-05 14:02:52

Yep, I think it must have been a bit of midnight madness, runtus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now