Talk

Advanced search

First Aid for sunflowers - help!

(6 Posts)
marthamoo Sun 24-Jul-05 19:45:29

Ds2 has grown 5 sunflowers from seed, four of which are not doing particularly well, but one was thriving. Noticed this morning that the thriving one was bent over about 6 inches from the top. On further investigation some %$£"**& slug or snail has chomped through the stem and it is nearly severed. So...if I chop it off will it recover and still flower? Or can I kind of bandage it by binding the stem and if so what with? Ds2 was very upset when I said it might die.

SaintGeorge Sun 24-Jul-05 19:50:09

I have managed to rescue one from this state - with good old elastoplast . It eventually grew to 7' tall.

Depends really just how far through the stem it has been chomped.

SaintGeorge Sun 24-Jul-05 19:52:57

Also, put a little stake in the pot and tie the stem to it (not too tightly) as it won't be very strong at the moment. If it isn't very tall, a chopstick will suffice for now.

marthamoo Sun 24-Jul-05 19:55:24

I'll have a go with a plaster, though I fear it may be too far chomped to save. It's about 3 feet tall already so already has a stake. Thanks SG.

SaintGeorge Sun 24-Jul-05 19:59:36

Doh, sorry, didn't see the 'six inches from the top' bit - that should have sort of hinted that it was beyond the chopstick stage!

It might well still survive, it sounds like a well established plant. Make sure you put some sort of slug barrier around it to prevent future damage. Also keep it away from walls - slugs have a nasty habit of using walls as a way round the barriers and attack from the top.

marthamoo Mon 25-Jul-05 17:27:50

I've splinted it with 3 little wooden sticks micropore taped to the stem but it still looks very poorly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now