Talk

Advanced search

Passion Flowers................

(8 Posts)
swiperfox Fri 22-Jul-05 15:40:18

I was growing one in the house under the skylight and it went mad so I've put it in the garden next to a trellis and it's gone even more mad lol

It's started growing out along the ground as well as up the trellis. Do i let it carry on along the ground or try to pin it all up?

Also, if the branches grow over the top of each other and cling onto each other, will the little wrap around sringy bits strangle other bits of the plant?

Sorry not very technical - hope it makes sense!!!

BareFootAngel Fri 22-Jul-05 15:42:25

halo!

emmatmg Fri 22-Jul-05 15:47:30

We had one last year and it did the same, grew so fast as well.

we just left it to grow where ever it went, by the end of the summer it had had over 70 flowers and fruit (that you can't eat btw) even though we kept it in a pot.

Micku5 Fri 22-Jul-05 15:48:15

Hi swiperfox... our neighbour has a passion flower climber in his garden and it has now spilled over to our side over the fence. Wasn't really a problem but I noticed that they started to wrap the tendrils around my own potted climbers so yesterday i cut the ones which were affecting my plants.

I don't think it affects the plant itself but may suffocate others.

BareFootAngel Fri 22-Jul-05 15:48:16

why cant you eat passion fruit?

emmatmg Fri 22-Jul-05 15:52:58

apparently you can eat the fruit from passion flower plants. Don't know why though, my neighbour told me last yr and she's the closest to Alan Titchmarsh I ever know.

swiperfox Fri 22-Jul-05 16:30:47

Halo!! was wondering if that was you!!

How come you can't eat the fruit from normal passion plants? We love passion fruit!

vwvic Fri 22-Jul-05 16:45:46

You can't eat the fruit beacuse it won't ripen in this climate. The best you can hope for is a little green ball- if you cut one up you can see the starting stages of it turning into a ripe passion fruit.

HTH.

(by the way, my MIL told me this...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now