Talk

Advanced search

Chinese lanterns

(8 Posts)
janx Sun 17-Jul-05 14:53:06

Does anyone know anything about this plant?I think they are called chinese lanterns - I bought one at a fate and it seems to be wilting - tia

SaintGeorge Sun 17-Jul-05 14:57:53

Probably dry as a bone and needs a good soaking.

Stand plant pot in a bowl or basin and fill the outer container with water. Leave for 15 minutes for the plant to soak up what it wants and then remove and place somewhere out of direct light to see if plant revives.

WigWamBam Sun 17-Jul-05 15:05:50

I was going to say the same thing. It needs a good soak.

You can eat the berries from the physallis in the Autumn so it's well worth looking after it!

janx Mon 18-Jul-05 09:29:53

Thanks wigwam and saintgeorge - have taken your advice and it does seem to have perked up a bit...one more question - is it a plant that does like some sun?

SaintGeorge Mon 18-Jul-05 09:37:09

They love the sun

Keep well watered though, they can get very thirsty.

If keeping in a pot then water by the method I mentioned before - always best for any type of pot plant as the roots do all the work and the plant finds its own level IYSWIM. Always remove from the water after no more than 15 minutes or they will get waterlogged though.

If planting out then be aware that they are big self seeders and will spread if you don't keep a check on them.

janx Mon 18-Jul-05 09:49:40

Thank you for such a quick response - I am away this week, so will ask my neighbour to water as you suggested - I live on the 3 floor and have a very sunny balcony out the back

bubbaloo Sat 23-Jul-05 20:44:52

keep it in a pot!

i had this a couple of years ago in my garden and it spread so much that i dug it all up and got rid of it.

bubbaloo Sat 23-Jul-05 20:46:40

just seen what SG said and that it's on the balcony-doh! .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now