Talk

Advanced search

how do you keep your plants watered when on holiday?

(5 Posts)
leonardodavinci Wed 13-Jul-05 20:59:57

have just thought that if it's going to be a hot summer and you have hanging baskets, beds of summer bedding etc, how on earth do you keep them going over the summer. After 2 weeks without water ours would die surely. A kindly neighbour might do the odd watering a hanging basket but a half our hosepipe session a few times a week is surely a lot to ask. What does everyone do with their plants?

chicagomum Wed 13-Jul-05 21:11:38

put houseplants in the bath with the plug in and a couple of inches of water, and upturned plastic bottles with the bottoms cut off filled with water placed around the flower beds, followed by a lot of tlc when we get home (oh and pray for rain)!!!

Tipex Wed 13-Jul-05 21:13:22

ask several neighbours/friends to do 1 or 2 waterings each and so they get done daily! My DH puts hours of love into his garden and would be so upset if it all shrivelled up whilst he was away! he has also fitted irigation hosing to the beds so the neighbour just has to pop round and turn it on then off again an hour later.

SaintGeorge Wed 13-Jul-05 21:14:23

Soak the bedding plants really well and then mulch thoroughly with at least an inch of bark chippings or similar material - preferably 2-3" deep if you can. If possible ask a neighbour to water mid week and at the weekend.

Hanging baskets I use water absorbing gel but that is best mixed in when you first plant up the baskets - that way if I water them really well the night before they go they will last for at least a week (and in this country it rarely goes longer than a week without at least one shower!) You might be able to mix some in now if the basket isn't too full to get at the soil.
If they are in full sun it might be best to take them down and place them somewhere more shaded.

spod Sat 16-Jul-05 22:16:41

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now