Talk

Advanced search

Is my favourite shrub dying?

(5 Posts)
zaphod Wed 13-Jul-05 15:18:17

I have a large lavatera shrub, for about 5 years now, which has survived it's main trunk being split by the children a couple of years ago. Every year it flowers beautifully and has spread out a lot. This year it flowered but wherever it flowered all the leaves and flowers have died almost immediately.

Should I just root it up and plant something new, or is there a way to save it? Any advice welcome.

leonardodavinci Wed 13-Jul-05 20:47:44

chop it right back to the base within about 4", give it a good water and maybe throw some compost around the base with some top dressing, mulch, manure. I don't know what else to suggest, but I think a servere pruning like this might do it some good, they get very out of hand and do need a good trim now and then I think. Hope this helps.

KBear Wed 13-Jul-05 20:48:47

It has been really dry so far this year and lots of shrubs that can usually manage are struggling. I would do what leonardo suggested.

zaphod Thu 14-Jul-05 12:19:57

Thanks, I will do as you suggest.

katymac Thu 14-Jul-05 20:08:44

My gardener has said that everyone's Mallow are dying this year (I think it's the same plant) he says whether it's cut back or left this year it has died.

And these are plants that have survived everything (mine has moved 3 times in 2 years...grew this spring then died and the one inthe front (never moved) is dying too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now