Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any idea how much this would cost ???

(23 Posts)
nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 12:08:24

Ok we want a new patio laid and extended. Fences putting up both sides and then whats left of the lawn returfing.

Any idea of how much this would be would be great.

Haven't measured the garden but I would say it is of medium size.

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 12:23:17

Even a 'don't even ask Nutty cos you can't afford it' would be a start

charliecat Mon 27-Jun-05 12:24:20

'don't even ask Nutty cos you can't afford it' Neither can I but watching this thread anyway!

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 12:50:29

LOL CC

Just need to know if we are talking hundreds or thousands really as I honestly haven;t got a clue. Our garden is really in quite a state.

Will try and put a piccie or two on , that may help.

throckenholt Mon 27-Jun-05 12:53:30

depends on the size of the patio and the type of fencing - but probably approx £1000.

Guestimate how much time it would take - allow maybe £8 per hour per person (depends on area), guestimate materials cost.

WigWamBam Mon 27-Jun-05 12:55:49

We were quoted almost £1000 to have the fence just on one side of our garden replaced - the garden is about 100 feet long. In the end we split the cost of new fence panels between us and the neighbours, and dh and the chap next door did it themselves at a total cost of about £200.

What sort of size are the patio and lawn areas?

NomDePlume Mon 27-Jun-05 12:57:05

Last summer we had a lanscaper come in and he put up a 4ft picket type fence on 2 side of the front garden, shaped the back lawn, dug out and over 3 medium borders, moved the shed and out a few flags down to extend the patio. It all came to about £700.

To give you an idea, the fence costs were £250. I'd budget about £350-£400 for 6ft post and panel fencing on 3 sides of an average garden, possibly even more.

Returfing isn't expensive and is a pretty easy DIY job. To pay someone to do it, I'd budget around £150 - £200 including labour.

We paid a landscaper, who is more expensive then a handy man which it sounds like you need. Get quotes from your local yellow pages etc. They should be free, no obligation quotes. Once you know the figures then you can decide whether it's an option.

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 13:18:10

Links to piccies here

and here

charliecat Mon 27-Jun-05 13:20:00

Would you dig it yourself? Thats what we are planning on doing....eventually, mine actually looks 10 x better than when we first moved here

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 13:21:30

We could do yeah. In fact if there was any company willing to have dp help them do it that would be good cos presumably it would cost less and he would learn how to do it too.

deegward Mon 27-Jun-05 13:24:56

We hav just had our patio done, 3 metres by 4 metres and it cost £2500. The man did all the laouring etc, and this includes materials. really pleased with it

deegward Mon 27-Jun-05 13:25:51

no that was wrong, the garden is 12 metres wide, and the patio goes out 4 metres

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 13:26:50

Ok, i think the general idea then is that I can't afford it . Oh well back to the drawing board.

Thanks anyway.

TracyK Mon 27-Jun-05 13:28:58

I'd heard decking is cheaper and easier than patio.

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 13:29:25

Oh really ? Right will check that out, thanks.

charliecat Mon 27-Jun-05 13:30:22

Nutty sometimes you get folk selling patio stones in the local papers.

suedonim Mon 27-Jun-05 13:51:31

Nutty, if your dh is any good at diy, you can get books from the library, or magazines, with simple gardening ideas and then buy stuff cheap from B&Q etc. Then advertise (or look for adverts in local shops) for a teenager to come and help with the heavy work, as a summer job.

Re the bumpy lawn. If it has dips in it, fill them in with compost, well tamped down, until it is level with the rest of the grass then sow it with lawn seed. Would be cheaper than re-laying it! Hth.

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 13:54:17

Thanks suedonim, but unfortunatly the words dh, good and diy do not go together well in our house

I could ask my dad to supervise dp though that may work.

jampots Mon 27-Jun-05 13:56:47

how long is the garden?

how wide is the garden?

can you get a working party together to do the groundwork thereby cutting down on the cost of paid labour? ie. dad, dp, dp's dad, brothers, sisters, neighbours, friends?

You could get a little bbq going and Im sure as long as they're fed and watered they'd be happy

nutcracker Mon 27-Jun-05 13:58:55

Thats a great idea Jampots. Could probably manage my brothers and my dad but non of dp's family could do it as we don't soeak to them.
Next door would probably help but they would want to suppply also and I don't really fancy having it all ripped up again to be used as evidence in court for recieveing stolen goods

suedonim Mon 27-Jun-05 14:10:29

LOL re dh/diy, Nutty! Jampots' working party idea is excellent, though! Just keep the beer and sandwiches flowing.

throckenholt Mon 27-Jun-05 14:27:52

do the words nutcracker, good and diy go together well ?

Doesn't have to be dh .

I think it is more physical than technical to level out a lawn and reseed it.

And maybe you could between you think about laying a simple patio - ie with basic blocks/slabs. General idea would be to level, lay on sand or a cement base, and contain the edges. As long as it is functional that may be enough (and much cheaper!)

Maybe get a diy book from the library, or visit somewhere like B&Q or Wickes - they often have info sheets.

suedonim Mon 27-Jun-05 16:10:27

I did consider the gender angle, TKH, but decided NC had already ruled herself out of the Home Improvements game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now