Talk

Advanced search

Can I cook with my fresh coriander seeds?

(20 Posts)
trefusis Tue 21-Jun-05 22:19:08

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 21-Jun-05 22:43:38

No,(am a hopeless gardener)but do use coriander seed,which I imagine is dried first.Nice sort of orange peel flavour (key ingredient in Hoegarden (sp?) wheat beer.
In lots of SE Asian recipes

trefusis Tue 21-Jun-05 22:54:55

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Tue 21-Jun-05 22:57:17

You can dry them in the sun - spread them out on a baking sheet and leave them out in the sunshine for a day or two.

When they're dry, store them in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place, and they will last up to a year.

trefusis Tue 21-Jun-05 22:59:02

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 21-Jun-05 22:59:15

Do fan oven do that then?! (Never really thought about it!)
Madhur Jaffrey (not strictly SE Asian I know) uses them a lot.
How good a cook are you?
I would really recommend the Australian Women's Weekly series-very straightforward with relevant pictures,not just arty shots of the grain of a raw bit of tunaiyswim!
I use my SE Asian one loads!

Caligula Tue 21-Jun-05 22:59:47

Yes I have. Use the fresh ones you want, and dry the rest. Not that much difference in flavour, ime. (But I have always dry-fried them first, not sure if that's made a difference.)

moondog Tue 21-Jun-05 23:02:30

Evening caligula!

Caligula Tue 21-Jun-05 23:03:40

Hello Moondog! Bet you get lots of lovely fresh coriander where you are!

trefusis Tue 21-Jun-05 23:05:12

Message withdrawn

assumedname Tue 21-Jun-05 23:06:33

trefusis - have you tried growing Coriander 'Cilantro'? The description in Mr Fothergill's says 'Large, abundant leaves slow to run to seed'.

moondog Tue 21-Jun-05 23:06:45

Wot?? In north Wales???
Er...no!

Halfway up a mountain in Kurdistan? Non,encore une fois!!

(My dh went to a village yesterday that has only had the road cleared to it by snowplough last week!!! It's cut off for 8 months of the year...)

But,they do have lots of incredibly interesting herbs and vegetables that I have never seen anywhere else in Van!

moondog Tue 21-Jun-05 23:07:45

You go trefusis!!
I'll be out collecting cockles with my parents and dd next week.

Caligula Tue 21-Jun-05 23:08:12

Is this village in Wales or Kurdistan?!!!

Caligula Tue 21-Jun-05 23:08:50

Why can I never see, say or write the word village any more without thinking "the only gay in the..."

trefusis Tue 21-Jun-05 23:09:43

Message withdrawn

Caligula Tue 21-Jun-05 23:11:42

The other thing I always try to do with coriander is cut it whether I need it or not (freeze it if not) to stop it running to seed. That seems to work for a bit.

moondog Tue 21-Jun-05 23:12:00

lol! Kurdistan!

serah Sat 25-Jun-05 23:31:36

oooh.. oooh.. I know this one.....

with coriander, you sow only a few seeds each week, but every week, in recognition of the fact that it does go to seed so quickly.

AND/OR you can harvest immediately prior to seed and chop, add a little water and freeze in ice cube trays for addingto cooking later on.

yoyo Sun 26-Jun-05 00:01:46

Coriander bolts like anything. Dry in single layer on kitchen paper and you will enjoy the seeds for ages. Add to pickling mix when you do your onions and you will be in for a treat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: