Talk

Advanced search

Old delphinum and lupin seeds will they grow?

(6 Posts)
mumski Mon 02-Nov-09 13:43:42

My lovely Dad gave me a beautiful delphinium about 10 years ago. Unfortunately he died a few years ago. Then about 3/4 years ago the delphinium disappeared - I suspect the slugs got it! sad
When I was tidying the garage over the weekend I discovered a plastic bag which I had saved some of the flower heads and seeds from the plant. There was also a lupin flower head in another bag.
I would love to be able to grow some of the delphinium and possibly the lupins.
Do you think they will grow and if so when / how should I plant them?
Would love any advice you can offer smile

flockwallpaper Mon 02-Nov-09 15:48:26

It would be lovely if they did grow. I would be tempted to keep the seeds in a cool dry place and sow them in the spring in some potting compost. I'm not an expert gardner btw, but I have grown both of these so they must be fairly foolproof

mumski Tue 03-Nov-09 12:59:38

Would they need warm i.e some where in the house?

mumski Tue 03-Nov-09 17:25:25

bump

flockwallpaper Wed 04-Nov-09 10:04:52

Hi sorry, forgot to check back. I don't think they have to be started off in the house or greenhouse / conservatory if you are planting them from May onwards, but it would probably help them germinate to do this if you plant in April. The main thing is not to over water them as they are prone to rotting and keep them in an atmosphere that is airy and not too damp. I know some gardners say you have to buy fresh seed each year but I have put older seeds in and got some nice plants back, so I hope it works for you.

mumski Tue 10-Nov-09 08:44:27

flockwallpaper, many thanks for this and sorry I didn't get back sooner to you. Been busy in the garden as it has been badly neglected for a year and much sorting to be done shock
Thanks for the tips. I will love trying next year to see if they will grow.
That's what I love about gardening it massages the soul on so many levels (as well as giving you back ache!! [grin}
If I have any luck I'll let you know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now