Talk

Advanced search

does basil grow back in the summer after dying down in the winter? Like chives?

(8 Posts)
titferbrains Mon 26-Oct-09 12:11:57

Our chives came back after withering to a sad brown clump thru the winter. Will my basil do the same thing? First time I've had it in the garden, we planted it from seedlings and it's been glorious.

Sparks Mon 26-Oct-09 12:47:41

Afraid not. Or at least not in the UK climate, it gets too cold for them.

TheWorstWitch Mon 26-Oct-09 12:56:18

I'm not an expert, but ours grew back this summer. We were astonished

Miggsie Mon 26-Oct-09 12:58:11

No, Basil in an annual.
Cold kills it off.

I have some still going on in the conservatory and it is flowering so I will attempt to collect seed for next year

titferbrains Mon 26-Oct-09 13:55:47

ok.

Actually, we were considering bringing it in. How do you manage having house plants with a one yr old who eats anything she finds on the floor? Or is it just not a good idea?

WickedWitchinthesticks Tue 27-Oct-09 17:36:17

Basil is edible wink.
Actually I used to be keen on house plants but gave them all up when the DCs were babies. Never got back into house plants but I do overwinter cuttings and geraniums in the conservatory. A kitchen window sill would do. Though I wouldn't bother with basil because it is easy to grow from seed.

titferbrains Wed 28-Oct-09 10:35:01

Wicked thanks for the heads up re edible basil grin - I was more concerned about the eating of soil and any dead leaves lying about....

WickedWitchinthesticks Wed 28-Oct-09 14:09:43

DS2 once ate a snail.....I caught him crunching it in the garden when he was 2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now