Talk

Advanced search

HELP!!!HERBS IN POTS!!!!!

(10 Posts)
ambrosia Sun 12-Jun-05 20:32:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SenoraPostrophe Sun 12-Jun-05 20:36:23

easiest:

rosemary, thyme, mint (all v smelly, rosemary especially nice), oregano/marjoram.

Mirage Tue 14-Jun-05 22:17:58

could the lemon stuff be lemon balm? It is lovely,but very invasive if let to go to seed.Or it could be lemon verbena?All my herb books are packed away,but lemon balm should be fine in pots.Chives do well in containers too & sage.

turnupthebass Tue 14-Jun-05 22:22:24

Ah...

we just started a herb garden outside and have planted sage, bay tree, lemon balm and a couple of others (bought as presents)- is the lemon going to take over? It's only a 3ft by 2ft bed?

I wondered could we try basil / chives outside - other things we actually use more in cooking?

SaintGeorge Tue 14-Jun-05 22:29:14

I have rosemary, chives, sage/purple sage, basil, 3 varieties of thyme, oregano, lemon balm and mint all growing outside. The mint is in a bucket buried in the herb patch.

They are all growing brilliantly and all are from last years plantings. I was very surprised that they had survived over the winter as I didn't think they would be that hardy.

turnupthebass Tue 14-Jun-05 22:34:59

will get the basil planted then - tired of buying those over-priced things in Tesco / Sainsburys.

growing our own sounds good!

tiddlypom Tue 14-Jun-05 23:05:07

Lemon balm IS invasive but on the other hand, it's easy to pull up by the roots. Mine pops up all over the place, including in cracks in the path, but I don't really mind - it's lovely stuff, makes a great herbal tea, which is supposed to be good for getting rid of headaches.

Trim it back when it flowers so that it doesn't go to seed (ie cut off the tops), and keep pulling up roots that spread beyond the boundary you want it to have. If you think its spreading habit is really going to bother you, you could keep it confined to a pot sunk into the ground, as you're advised to do with mint.

Good luck with all of them - my faves, apart from lemon balm, are sage, rosemary, chives and borage (pretty blue flowers, v easy to grow from seed). Basil doesn't seem to like me too much so far, but I intend to keep trying.

turnupthebass Tue 14-Jun-05 23:10:21

How do you make tea out of it?

tiddlypom Tue 14-Jun-05 23:19:21

I just pick off a handful of leaves from the top(not too much stalk), wash them, stick them in a teapot and pour boiling water on. Drink after about four minutes. It may be an acquired taste if you're not used to herbal teas at all (my sister didn't think much of it, but she never drinks herbal tea), but if you are used to that kind of tea, then I imagine you'll like it.

serah Sat 25-Jun-05 22:50:33

top tip for those buying the overpriced basil in tesco's (turnupthebass!)....

buy one pot of overpriced basil (usually less than a packet of basil seeds). Take out of pot and gently seperate EACH stalk. Plant in an individual pot, remembering, particularly with basil, to nip out the growing centres on a regular basis. More than 80% of mine always flourish into full and bushy plants this way.

The reason for this is the stuff you buy at the supermarket is just a pot full of forced seedlings... seperate them and they will flourish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now