Talk

Advanced search

Need a book recommendation: idiots guide to planting veg month by month

(10 Posts)
IlanaK Mon 12-Oct-09 21:06:51

Does such a thing exist? We are moving from a flat to a house with a garden and I so want to grow my own veg. I need something that tells me month by month what I should be doing - the real basics.

Any recommendations?

bellabelly Tue 13-Oct-09 00:23:00

Not a book but this website has a To Do section for each month which is quite handy..

I need a book like the one you describe so will be watching this thread with interest!

DuelingFANGo Tue 13-Oct-09 00:30:51

this one is very good. I used it on my allotment.

ineedalifelaundry Tue 13-Oct-09 00:51:51

You could try Alan Buckhingham: 'Allotment month by month'. Just bought this on amazon as we have just got a share in an allotment and we know next to nothing about gardening. It's good - it has monthly to do lists telling you what jobs to do and what you can plant or harvest each month. Perfect for a numpty like me grin

inthesticks Wed 14-Oct-09 18:48:06

Try The Great Vegetable Plot by Sarah Raven.

Takver Thu 15-Oct-09 13:32:51

Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkcom - has a section at the back with what to sow, plant out etc every month. Also has a vegetable - by - vegetable bit which goes through each veg in alphabetical order & tells you when to sow, how to grow it, any likely problems etc.

If you literally just want what to sow each month try here (disclaimer - my website!)

psycho1 Fri 16-Oct-09 09:18:19

Carol Klein's Growing Vegetables- shows what to plant nad when. Nice pics and quite good reading too.

plantwoman Tue 20-Oct-09 17:09:46

The one duelingfango recommended is the one I use, in fact I have quite a few of the 'expert' books and they are clear and easy to use. they are also recommended by the RHS

Uriel Tue 20-Oct-09 17:12:52

Oooh, I ordered some seeds from you this year, Takver! They did well. smile

Takver Wed 21-Oct-09 11:40:48

Glad to hear it! Always slightly cautious about outing myself in case I get flamed by someone whose plants all died or they hated them grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now