Talk

Advanced search

Will my tomatoes ripen?

(13 Posts)
babyOcho Mon 05-Oct-09 12:22:34

I've got a load of green tomatoes on my plants outside (havent had a single red one).

With it being cold and rainy, should I pick them off and do something with them? How's the best to make them go red?

If I dont pick them off will they just die?

TIA

Pick them and put them on a sunnyhmm windowsill, you can also add an (unpeeled) banana but then watch they don't overripen and go off.

hairtwiddler Mon 05-Oct-09 12:37:21

I put mine in a dark box with a banana. Took an age but they eventually ripened.

babyOcho Mon 05-Oct-09 13:01:26

thanks, will go out later and harvest.

AbominableDomine Mon 05-Oct-09 13:04:20

don't put them on a windowsill - they'll shrivel up before they get a chance to ripen.

We had tons of green tomatoes too - so I put them in a box (no banana) put the lid on and about 5 days later, fridge full of lovely (firm) red tomatoes.

AbominableDomine Mon 05-Oct-09 13:06:15

... just to say the box wasn't kept in the fridge - just in the kitchen. My last post didn't read back well!!

MrsBadger Mon 05-Oct-09 13:07:13

we have had lots of red ones already so I am leaving the green ones on as long as possible in hopes.

will grab them as soon as we get a frost though and make chutney smile

babyOcho Mon 05-Oct-09 15:21:43

tupperware box? or does it have to be a paper/wooden box type of thing?

puddinghead Mon 05-Oct-09 23:08:14

I just took a load off my plants today, although I have had a lot ripening in the past couple of weeks with the weather being so nice. But decided with the cold nights might be better to take 'em off and be prepared for some green chutney making sessions. Have tried the banana in paper bag with green toms trick - works but takes a while.

By the way, anyone tried fried green tomatoes like at the Whistle Stop Cafe? Do they require anything other than just frying, ie. coating ?

AbominableDomine Thu 08-Oct-09 12:34:46

Ours were in an old cracker (biscuits) box - so kept in the dark.

robino Thu 08-Oct-09 12:37:09

If you ave to many to ripen I shall just recommend Keith Floyd's green tomato chutney from the BBC website -am eating it right now in a cheese sandwich, it's yummy.

robino Thu 08-Oct-09 12:37:49

have blush. Am not a fake French person really.

robino Thu 08-Oct-09 12:38:31

too. Shall give up now, apologies for any further mistakes blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now