Talk

Advanced search

Can I put mildewed plants in my compost bin?

(6 Posts)
midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 10:17:39

The title says it all really. I have several large courgette plants that have got quite a lot of powdery mildew on them. Once the courgettes are done, can I put the plants in the compost bin? Or do I need to bin them/burn them?

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Sep-09 12:27:12

Think I would bin them just to avoid the risk of contaminating the compost.

plantwoman Tue 29-Sep-09 12:52:41

it is best to avoid putting diseased plants into your compost. Bin or burn

midnightexpress Tue 29-Sep-09 13:01:59

Thanks for your replies. Good to know. Such a shame - they're so biiiiiig. It always gives me such satisfaction to put a great big load of stuff in my compost bin from the garden. hey ho.

mumofjemima Tue 29-Sep-09 16:29:53

Ahhh - had first set of plants this year and noticed they have this similar powdery stuff all over but didn't know what it was - thanks!!

Great courgettes though - more than we can keep on top of just with 3 plants!

missingtheaction Tue 29-Sep-09 22:15:26

to be honest I'd compost them. powdery mildew is (IME) pretty endemic on courgettes, and is mostly a response to end-of-season stress: dry roots and damp air. I do compost mine and I only get powdery mildew on really susceptible plants like courgettes, wherever I end up using the compost. If you are lucky enough to get your compost hot it should kill the spores anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now