Talk

Advanced search

Best and worst plants/ crops of the year!

(23 Posts)
nymphadora Sun 27-Sep-09 15:04:41

Best- tomatoes, raspberries, strawberries, peppers, tree onion

worst- potatoes , cabbages, both just got eaten!

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 14:30:57

What the * is a tree onion? hmm

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 14:36:50

our spuds were delicious but very low yield

peppers were crap, going back to chillies next year
beans crap

good raspberries, strawberries and tomatoes, though loads of toms are still green and am not sure they'll ripen before the frost.
Can I make jam of them, I wonder? we are not a chutney house.

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 14:41:20

Fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe? wink

catinthehat2 Mon 28-Sep-09 14:44:35

Tree onions are like leek brambles and bush carrots. THey are a figment of N's imagination.

Raspberries were my best.

Worst were onions

GrimmaTheNome Mon 28-Sep-09 14:52:35

Tomatoes were a disaster. Didn't even get enough green ones for a pot of chutney, just about 2 servings of red ones. They went brown and dropped sad

throckenholt Mon 28-Sep-09 14:53:56

best - sweetcorn.

worst - probably potatoes - blight and slugs

throckenholt Mon 28-Sep-09 14:54:53

actually best crop was pears apples and plums - but since I didn't have to do much for those I don't feel I had any input

nymphadora Mon 28-Sep-09 18:49:03

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_onion?wasRedirected=true

hope that works , not good at links on iPhone

ShellingPeas Mon 28-Sep-09 19:52:07

Worst, chillies and peppers. Absolute crap. Best, apples - too many apples in fact and I have no idea what to do with them.

Frizbe Mon 28-Sep-09 19:53:04

Best: Peas and Spring Onions
Worst: Tomatoes, they got blight....too much rain on one day!

nymphadora Mon 28-Sep-09 20:44:09

Oh my peas were bad as well too many caterpillars

LouLovesAeroplabeJelly Mon 28-Sep-09 20:48:11

Oooh can I boast a bit? I planted two tomato plants in early July. The plants are now 1.8m high and approx. 2.3m wide. I have NEVER seen a tomato plant like this before grin
However my lettuce just crap really.

catinthehat2 Mon 28-Sep-09 22:44:34

Am fascinated by the tree/walking onions!

nymphadora Tue 29-Sep-09 08:00:38

It's cool isn't it!

My toms are still flowering and making new toms

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Sep-09 08:12:24

My toms withered, wonder what I did wrong?

Great year for raspberries, strawberries, blackberries. Apples looking good too and grapes.

Not good for mange tout and sugar snaps, some of the lettuces and only 1 small pumpkin. I am actually going to have to buy one this year which is a thing I never do.

MrsBadger Tue 29-Sep-09 08:47:53

think tomatoes were very microclimate-dependent this year

our south-facers didn;t do nearly as well as the west-facers

GentleOtter Tue 29-Sep-09 08:54:01

best- parsley. It looks like a hedge. grin

worst- everything else. It was too wet here and the chickens stole the lot.

Snowtiger Tue 29-Sep-09 09:01:30

Parsley's impressive, GentleOtter, according to old wives' tales a healthy parsley plant means the wife wears the trousers in that household! My parsley looks rather sad, unfortunately...

Best - tomatoes, chillies, aubergines, onions, garlic, salad leaves

Worst - pak choi & cavolo nero, both got totally munched by b*stard caterpillars. Broad beans were crap too, got rust / chocolate spot or something.

Am getting a little greenhouse for my birthday, already ridiculously excited about growing more from seed. Sad isn't it.

luckyblackcat Tue 29-Sep-09 09:02:18

Worst Broccoli - I gave up eating it and left it to the cabbage whites after stopping counting at 47 crawlers on 2 heads when preparing tea. Now the smell of cooking broc makes me <boak>

Sugar snaps not great, celery useless, onions/garlic uninspiring also I planted loads of squashes, some have produced only one fruit per plant.

Best courgettes, runner beans, climing french, toms (although I'm not really a dedicated enough water and get blossom end rot) beetroot, radish.

My one main irritation was that I actually bought 4 bell pepper plants from the garden centre (friend forgot to water mine whilst I was away and they were in the greenhouse) 3 of which are chillis! We do not eat chillis, my DH hates spicy food - there are even pics of the bell peppers on the labels! Grr.

GentleOtter Tue 29-Sep-09 10:43:17

We practically used sorcery, Snowtiger ! We planted when the moon was correct, sown by the eldest daughter when the devil's back was turned etc...wink

Lol at the boss trouser wearer. (element of truth there)

Snowtiger Tue 29-Sep-09 12:15:09

Ha ha, never discount an old wives' tale eh GentleOtter? wink

needmorehoursinaweek Tue 29-Sep-09 12:38:48

Toms in the green house fine. Still a few left but plants look sad now. Outdoor toms, including cherry toms waste of space. Too much heavy rain. Outdoor cucumbers great but all came at once and plants didn't live long. May be the rain again.

Courgettes/marrows lots of.

Runner and french beans were great. We have frozen plenty and given lots away.

Peppers worst we've had, but chillis are fine.Lots of healthy little chilli plants.

Don't know what happened to the pumpkins mine failed for the first time ever. As did butternut squash. They produced lovely lush looking plants and lots of male flowers but the fruit are no bigger than large eggs!

Salad leave, spring onions etc did fine. But don't bother with cabbage, broccoli, any more as I was only feeding caterpillars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now