Talk

Advanced search

Daft "Bean" question...............

(6 Posts)
Gwenick Mon 06-Jun-05 12:16:11

OK this is probably really daft, and there's probably a very simple answer which I simply hadn't thought of - but I'm NOT green fingered at all.

A few weeks back DS1 came home from nursery with a bean that he'd grown at nursery - when it arrived home it was already about 2ft tall!! (felt a bit embarassed as his was by FAR the tallest bean in the nursery). I duly repotted it (it was in a tiny pot) and put it in the greenhouse with a large cane next to it as I did at least know it would need something to 'grow round'.......anyhow this cane is about 4 1/2ft tall..........and the bean has flourished and is nearly at the top of the cane.

What do I do when it reaches the top - do I just leave it, or do I need a bigger cane?? DS is VERY proud of his bean, goes out to the garden to look at it everyday and I'd hate to ruin it

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:17:50

It's probably a broad bean, and you need to pinch the top out to stop it getting too tall, and to encourage it to flower and fruit.

Gwenick Mon 06-Jun-05 12:23:21

thank WWB - how do I 'pinch the top'???

My mother would be ashamed of me when I was younger and we had a large garden and an allotment we used to eat all our own veg and he garden always looked lovely

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:26:18

Just break the top cluster of leaves off. It would be better out of the greenhouse as well, so that the bees can pollinate the flowers.

Gwenick Mon 06-Jun-05 12:28:09

Thanks - shall do that later - I leave the greenhouse door open everyday (mum suggested that) so that the bees can pollenate it - they're always getting into it anyhow so I think it'll be ok - haven't got anywhere 'safe' to put it in the garden.

Actually the bean is the only plant in the greenhouse - it's still full of stuff that 'should' be in the house, but has no home (or stuff that needs getting rid of LOL). It's also lost 2 panes of glass so isn't very 'effective' greenhouse

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:31:41

I know the feeling, we had to clear a forest of baby plum trees out of ours a couple of weeks back (I wouldn't mind, but the tree they originally came from was chopped down three years ago). They had managed to push a couple of the glass panes out too, so there's a little bit of work to do in there, I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now