Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone identify this tree for me?

(47 Posts)
Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:09:49

In my garden I have a tree which is growing atm, large Grape size green things!

My first thoughts were Olives but when you get up close they're not the right colour.

Obviously I don't want to eat them to find out but am desperate to know.

anorak Mon 06-Jun-05 12:13:47

Could they be damsons?

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:13:59

Figs?
Plums?

How big is the tree? What do the leaves look like? What shape are the fruits? Were there any flowers on the tree that you noticed?

lemonice Mon 06-Jun-05 12:14:54

Is there anything distinctive about the leaves?

Plums? Figs? Quince? medlar?

yoyo Mon 06-Jun-05 12:15:50

Take one along to your nearest garden centre (with a leaf) and try and match it up. Perhaps one of your neighbours would know (we found ours most helpful years ago when we had a lovely large garden to look after).

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:16:51

No flowers, the leaves are similar to that on a rose bush and like I said these things are the size of large grapes so more oblong than round and they are a deep green colour.

The tree isn't huge, probably 8ft tall atm.

I don't think they could be figs, MIL said they could be Green gauge plums (sp)

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:19:15

Any type of plum will be green to start with, the colour only comes when they ripen.

binkie Mon 06-Jun-05 12:22:38

this is what you need

tree flowchart

FSC does loads of these - we adore them

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:24:26

So it could be a plum then.

If it is when will they be ready to pick or should I leave them to fall off?

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:24:51

Thanks Binkie.

Will get that I think.

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:28:05

You'll know when they're ripe, depends on what type it as as to when they ripen but it won't be for a few weeks yet. If it's something like a Victoria plum, you'll know by the depth of colour when it's ripe. If you wait until they fall off, they'll be over-ripe and will spoil as they fall.

It might just be a case of try one and see!

SoupDragon Mon 06-Jun-05 12:31:20

I would have thought that when you squeeze it, a ripe plum will give slightly. Firm but not hard

I waited ages for my plums to ripen only to realise too late that they were yellow plums, not the purple victoria ones I was used to.

WigWamBam Mon 06-Jun-05 12:33:20

Depending on the variety, they could be ripe anywhere between late July and early September, so there could be a way to go yet.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:36:06

Great, thanks very much.

I might make Jam with it

lemonice Mon 06-Jun-05 12:36:38

Plums tend to be rather popular with late summer/early autumn wasps, unfortunately but make excellent jam

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:38:28

I'll start picking end of July then.

How do you make jam anyway?

SoupDragon Mon 06-Jun-05 12:40:31

Badly in my case. FAR too sharp

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:49:33

Give us your method anyway soupy

SoupDragon Mon 06-Jun-05 12:57:34

I'll dig out my "how to make Jam" book later. Basically involves boiling up the cut up fruit with jame making sugar (has pectin added) and maybe some water... can't remember! Blackberry and Apple is my personal favourite though.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 12:59:44

We have raspberrys growing as well but they didn't grow very well last year so I might have to give them a miss.

Is pectin a preservative? I thought about making a few batches of it.

anorak Mon 06-Jun-05 13:04:12

Pectin is the stuff that makes jams set. Some fruits have naturally high concentrations of it, some need more adding to the jam.

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 13:12:29

Right then.

So how long can you keep it for once it's made?

anorak Mon 06-Jun-05 13:16:37

It should keep for ages if you make sure everything is thoroughly clean - Clean jars and lids in dishwasher if you have one and fill them while still hot (they're less likely to break that way too).

Newbarnsleygirl Mon 06-Jun-05 13:20:59

Great, thanks.

I just need soupy back with her Jam recipe

SoupDragon Mon 06-Jun-05 16:20:48

Eeek!

Lakeland do very nice jam jars by the way
<<scurries off to kitchen for jam book>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now