Talk

Advanced search

Sweetcorn query

(4 Posts)
frostyfingers Mon 21-Sep-09 16:01:04

I planted sweetcorn for the first time this year, and had a good crop numbers wise with at least 4 cobs per plant. However, when I opened them alot of the corn hadn't ripened -some had gone swelled up and gone yellow (and was delicious) but the remainder didn't. Was this due to lack of water, or something else. I'm not sure I'll do them again if this is a common problem. They were yummy, but it was a pretty poor return on the investment so to speak!

slng Mon 21-Sep-09 20:25:31

Aha! I had the same problem. The Royal Horticultural Society and a wise MNer said to plant in blocks rather than rows because sweetcorn is wind pollinated. I also saw another website that says to gently shake the thingammys on the top so pollen will fall and pollinate the cobs.

Apologies if this is not your problem. I don't know anything really. Our sweetcorn only had one cob per plant, and pretty small ones at that. Very yummy though...

ShellingPeas Mon 21-Sep-09 22:15:50

It's probably down to lack of sun/warmth and it has been a dryish summer, particularly in the South East. Sweetcorn is originally from warmer climates than here and really needs a good hot summer, combined with decent rainfall, to get the most from it.

meltedmarsbars Mon 28-Sep-09 14:40:22

Its the pollination thing: always plant in blocks and when the "flowers" at the top are producing pollen, snap one off and rub it onto all the thread bits hanging from the immature cobs to ensure show-standard pollination.

Also, mulch with manure after planting to give better resistance to rocking in the wind, and to give a good feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now