Talk

Advanced search

Butternut Squash- how much longer....

(4 Posts)
purplepeony Sat 19-Sep-09 12:43:53

When is the right time to harvest? I reckon mine need another few weeks- quite a good size, but not quite all yellow.
Only got 8 fruits off 4 plants but was my 1st attempt and know I should have pinched out grwoing tips now.

any experts?

BCNSback Sat 19-Sep-09 12:51:11

No idea I'm wondering the same.. first year here too.. we happen to have quite the bumper crop.. but i'm not sure how as I had no idea of what to do with them.. luck I guess.
so I'll be watching this space.. do i pick before shop colour or just before?

purplepeony Sat 19-Sep-09 12:55:45

I had loads of tiny ones which rotted and I did pick them off, but I understand that you should pick out the trailing tips once you have got a few fruits.

I also think mine are too close together- I planted 4 in a small raised bed, thinking 2 would surely die- no chance!

Mine are all different shapes- some have a "waist" like in the shops, others are more spherical and like a melon.

I normally cut mine off at the end of Sept and then leave out on the patio for another week. They have straw under them at the minute to lessen the chance of them rotting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now