Talk

Advanced search

Turf or seed? Help needed with trying to sort out new grass area

(8 Posts)
Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 18:05:11

We've finally had the trees chopped from the foresty bit at the end of our garden. Hooray! smile

so now we have an approx. 45ft area (30ft wide) which has a few trees remaining around the edges, and just an uneven but mainly flat, rooty, stumpy area which is rather dry looking - it was covered with ivy but this has mostly been removed during the work/bonfire.

I'd like to basically extend the play area, by putting the climbing frame on it maybe, or build a kind of adventure bit - but not sure where to start, so figured it would be best to just have grass. It can be crappy grass but I am a bit skint (ahem do not search under fly boots on here grin) so thought maybe seeding would work OK?

Main thing is I don't want weeds and brambles to take over before the grass gets established enough.

Does anyone know how I should be approaching this? It's a lovely weedless area atm and I thought early autumn would be great for starting a lawn as it won't ened so much watering.

Any hints or tips for a novice much appreciated.

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 18:08:22

Btw thought about bark chips but we already have a minor cat poo issue so probably best not!

LIZS Thu 17-Sep-09 18:11:06

will watch with interest as we've got a section at roughly the same point. Good time to seed apparently

bodeniites Thu 17-Sep-09 18:13:03

we tried seeding it was awful clumps here no grass there we bought turf from b& q and hey presto instant lawn brilliant!!! had bark when we had a climbing frame etc it disappered quite quickly dont know where to and was always damp and messy

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 18:22:28

Ah thanks smile

Mmmmm not sure which to go for still. I can't find the turf on B&Q website. Is it store only?

I got a few quotes online for turf and it was about 400 quid shock

I also saw some great thick rubber mats but would need quite a few and they were also £££.

bodeniites Thu 17-Sep-09 18:26:45

we bought it at the store but that was a few months ago

LIZS Thu 17-Sep-09 18:26:54

We've been recommended this to use instead of bark but it seems to cost £££

Jumente Thu 17-Sep-09 18:46:50

Oh I like that stuff Lizs. Sadly yes very pricey isn't it. All the rubber stuff I have seen is dear.

I've come to the conclusion we just can't afford turf so am going to seed it once the stumpy bits have been dug out...and once it's had loads of water too.

Bodeniites I'm amazed yours survived the hot summer! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now