Talk

Advanced search

Dangerous plants?

(11 Posts)
madmarchhare Sat 04-Jun-05 12:25:50

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, so sorry for the repeat!, but can you give me any ideas on what plants etc.. are poisonous and not suitable for a very touchy, eaty, toddler.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 12:27:51

Laburnum, yew, fox gloves, laurel berries, any part of a potato plant other than the potato, rhubarb leaves I think...

Satine Sat 04-Jun-05 12:28:43

I know lupins and foxgloves are bad. And euphorbias have a milky sap which is really irritating to skin. Can't think of any others off the top of my head, sorry....

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 12:29:37

I'd avoid anything that has berries on tbh if your child is likely to eat them.

We removed some poisonous plants but also drummed it into DSs from a very young age that they don't eat anything that has been picked in the garden unles we say it's safe.

suedonim Sat 04-Jun-05 13:43:22

The RHS has info detailing poisonous plants here. Hth.

suedonim Sat 04-Jun-05 13:46:12

Oh, this one is a better link!

bubbaloo Sat 04-Jun-05 13:51:23

white lillies are poisonous to cats.
it may be the same for children but i dont know.

madmarchhare Sat 04-Jun-05 13:59:11

Blimey, so many Looks like FIL will be taking up half his garden! Thanks.

suedonim Sat 04-Jun-05 14:30:56

Don't panic, MMH. Incidents of plant poisonings are few and far between when you consider that most people will have at least some of those plants in their gardens or at school, the local park etc.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 14:36:53

tbh, I wouldn't worry. You simply have to be aware of which are dangerous. It is far, far better to teach your child not to eat anything from a garden (but watch them like a hawk when they're little!) than to remove all risks.

madmarchhare Sun 05-Jun-05 14:31:35

Yes I suppose youre both right, its just that sometimes MIL & FIL arent quite as keen, or should I say anxious?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now