Talk

Advanced search

A quick question about chillies and peppers...

(4 Posts)
Febes Fri 11-Sep-09 13:25:50

We have loads of chillies and peppers growing. When will they turn red??? We have been waiting for ages and have used some of them green but I like red ones and are waiting but none have turned yet. Will it ever happen???

ShellingPeas Fri 11-Sep-09 15:14:07

None of my chillies are red either - there just hasn't been enough sunshine.

If you've grown them in pots you could bring them to a sunny windowsill to ripen. Last year I picked ones just turning red and laid them out on a windowsill over a radiator to change colour and then dried them by hanging them up in the hotwater cupboard. That worked well and I'm still using the dried ones now.

Mumwhensdinneready Fri 11-Sep-09 16:16:41

Some will eventually turn red. Last year about 3/4 of my chillis went red and I picked them all together around October. I just put them whole into a frezzer bag and take the odd one or two out when I need them. You can chop them from frozen quite easily.
I just have a handful left of last years so I'm hoping this year's crop will do as well. Only a few are red so far but they all seem to be fully grown. They are in a greenhouse though, I doubt they would do very well outside.

Febes Fri 11-Sep-09 18:58:33

Ours are on a windowsill so I'll just wait a few more weeks and hope they start going red. They are perfectly nice green anyway. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now