Talk

Advanced search

Replanting Laurel.

(10 Posts)
pinkhousesarebest Wed 09-Sep-09 22:03:23

We have a laurel hedge in a place where we don't want it, and a big open space looking onto the road where we really need to plant something quickly. Has anyone ever had success replanting a hedge of laurel which is probably about 6 years old?

Pannacotta Thu 10-Sep-09 16:54:33

You could give it a go, I have moved established evergreen shrubs and they have done ok. Autumn is a good time to do it and you need to make sure you water them in very well....
Some info here
www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles1000/moving_plants.asp

pinkhousesarebest Thu 10-Sep-09 21:15:39

Thank you Pannacotta. I am going to have a go at moving them. They have been planted right next to the house, and so block light from the side windows. And yet we need a hedge elsewhere very badly. Heres hoping.

Pannacotta Thu 10-Sep-09 21:24:38

Do dig in plenty of compost into the planting trough and might be worth leaving it till its a bit cooler, perhaps in a week or two...
Good luck!

missingtheaction Fri 11-Sep-09 08:58:59

cut them back too, so the roots don't have to support so much top growth and leaf. and maybe install a leaky pipe or something so they are easy to water for the next year.

but definitely worth trying

racmac Mon 19-Oct-09 07:19:59

Did you manage to replant your laurel?

I have the same problem as you and was wondering whether or not it worked?

Any tips?

pinkhousesarebest Thu 29-Oct-09 22:10:46

The saga continues...I cut them back a lot about a month ago, but I have not got round to moving them yet as i have been advised to leave it until mid November which is the optimum moving time, apparently(we are in France; could be earlier at home).I just noticed today that one of them seems to have died after the pruning. Anyway I will keep you informed, good luck.

racmac Fri 30-Oct-09 06:32:47

Well this week i have taken some cuttings, put them into some rooting powder and replanted them

fingers crossed - dont know how long before i know whether they have taken or not

mloo Fri 30-Oct-09 08:07:03

Yes we have replanted, not intentionally, either; ours was about 8 years old. We took out an old hedge, DH stuck some branches in the ground, and lo and behold, they sprouted roots. We freecycled them off about 6 months later, too.

I would think any time to move them is okay as long as there's not frost on the ground.

pinkhousesarebest Fri 30-Oct-09 11:49:19

Oh Mloo, now this is getting me quite excited because I had not thought there was the remotest chance that they would take, and we desperately need quick cover as our neighbours are building a new house. I am going to start next week as the ground is now soft enough to dig.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now