Talk

Advanced search

Lavender. What do you do with it?

(22 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 06-Sep-09 14:21:26

I mean, to dry it so you can use it.

Is this the right time of year?

ib Sun 06-Sep-09 14:24:00

Apparently it's best cut just before the flowers open fully and left to dry hanging in a cool darkish place.

That way it keeps most of its oils, or something. I never get round to that so just cut it dry off the plant. Not quite so smelly, no doubt, but good enough for me.

edam Sun 06-Sep-09 14:35:50

Do you need to put it in a paper bag or something to stop the buds falling off?

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 14:39:13

It makes a lovely air freshener in the car (only you have to keep crumbling it, & it gets a bit messy after a while smile)

edam Sun 06-Sep-09 14:47:09

Have never understood why people need air fresheners in the car. What on earth are they all doing in there? Don't they ever open the window?

edam Sun 06-Sep-09 14:47:56

And wouldn't lavender be a bit unhelpful, given it relaxes you and makes you sleepy?

GentleOtter Sun 06-Sep-09 14:50:01

It is lovely if you add some to lemon Mamade.

ib Sun 06-Sep-09 14:59:59

I don't know about bags, I find the buds don't fall off unless I pull them off iyswim.

Round here (I live in Provence, so lots of lavender) people hang upside-down bunches of dried lavender around the place, and it's a while before the buds start to fall off.

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 16:37:09

I only mentioned it because my son picked a bit on holiday in France & proceeded to crumble it slowly for the next few miles - it smelt lovely.

As it was about 35 degrees at the time & we were doing 80 on the autoroute we had the a/c on; I don't "need air fresheners in the car" as a rule, the lavender was a pleasant exception.

ProfYaffle Sun 06-Sep-09 16:44:28

You could make Lavender Jelly, v yummy with oatly biscuit and blue cheese.

ProfYaffle Sun 06-Sep-09 16:44:44

oaty not oatly.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 06-Sep-09 16:45:38

Hmm. So I'm too late perhaps. I've crumbled the seeds off the heads cos I was cutting the blessed thing back and just wondering what to do with them now. If anything. I might just put them in a bowl next to my bed.

MayorNaze Sun 06-Sep-09 16:46:38

tie it in bunches and hang it upsidedown in my downstairs loo. that is the loo reserved for...erm...solids.

lavender is lush, that lavendar jelly recipe looks fab. hummungbird bakery also have recipe for lavender cupcakes

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 06-Sep-09 16:47:01

cor that sounds delicious.

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 16:59:24

MayorNaze, the best solution for the smell of...erm...solids is to strike a match & wave it around until it burns your fingers - works like magic (certain people need 2 however)

We keep matches in the loo all the time now. Mind you we haven't got small children any more...

MayorNaze Sun 06-Sep-09 17:00:10

ah, see, it is the small children making the smell...grin

good tip though

Ponders Sun 06-Sep-09 17:11:13

That does complicate matters a bit grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 06-Sep-09 17:13:00

Scuse me, keep your whiffy whiffs out of my fragrant thread! grin

(Strictly only solids upstairs here!)

edam Sun 06-Sep-09 17:46:36

Ponders, afraid my post sounded a bit abrupt, didn't mean to criticise you, is just one of those things that I've always wondered about and never had the chance to ask...

edam Sun 06-Sep-09 17:47:07

Btw, my mother tells me I should be putting the lavender in the sugar although presumably you'd then have to sift it to remove lavendar bits.

bramblebooks Sun 06-Sep-09 18:37:38

I use it in shortbread. mmmm!

thumbwitch Sun 06-Sep-09 18:41:22

if you've already got the heads off, then I would put it in a cloth bag (or wrap it in a hanky) and put it under your pillow, or somewhere you would like to smell nice.

My mum always hung hers upside down to dry in brown paper bags to catch any heads that fell off, then when dry she pulled all the heads off and made lavender bags with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now