Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know why my cucumbers are growing in a funny shape?

(5 Posts)
MissGreatBritain Sun 23-Aug-09 16:54:18

I've had 3 or 4 so far, which have looked normal (and tasted fab). but the new ones that are beginning to grow seem to have about 2 inches of normal cucmber then a really thin middle then a fatter bit at the other end (a bit of an hourglass shape really). will they fatten up, or am I doing something wrong?

Takver Sun 23-Aug-09 20:41:37

Sounds like they haven't pollinated properly - are they inside or out? If in a greenhouse/tunnel perhaps open the doors/windows more to let insects in? If outside has it been very wet or very hot & dry - either might have meant that they didn't pollinate so well.

southeastastra Sun 23-Aug-09 20:58:29

i once grew some carrots that were about 5 inches long and half a cm wide, they were so odd, i gave up

purplepeony Sun 23-Aug-09 21:15:49

Irregular watering? have you left long gaps then too much water? think they need regular constant watering.

MissGreatBritain Mon 24-Aug-09 22:14:33

Well, I think they've pollinated ok as the greenhouse door is open all day. Maybe it has more to do with watering as I was ill for a few days and didn't get out there as much as I should have done. thanks for all your suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now