Talk

Advanced search

I need a plant expert to advise

(9 Posts)
DEMhasbeenverynaughty Wed 19-Aug-09 21:59:47

I am trying to build in sensory aspects into a garden for a sensory stimulated child. I am looking for a plant which will tolerate harsh treatment, not toxic, in a mostly shady position, being grow in a pot and hayfever friendly but has a smell.

Can anyone recommend anything?

midnightexpress Wed 19-Aug-09 22:10:45

Now, when you say harsh treatment what do you mean exactly?

Some of the climbing roases will tolerate shade, also some honeysuckles and jasmine, but none of these ideal for pots really. Jasmine might be OK in a big pot.

Oh I know, how about lilies? Some of them like shade and are scented. Or lily of the valley?

DEMhasbeenverysilly Wed 19-Aug-09 22:15:11

Cant do lillys due to pollen and hayfever and harsh treatment is usual sort of child manhandling - pulling leaves, kicking ball into etc. Ds is 4 1/2 but very touchy feely and into smells. Doesnt have to be flower scented (actually think might be advantage if not)
had thought of mint but mint is one of the plants i kill without fail WTF it is like catii. Can keep other stuff alive but not those.

MrsBadger Wed 19-Aug-09 22:17:14

lavender

rosemary

thyme

(but for herbs buy from garden centre not supermarket)

CheeryCherry Wed 19-Aug-09 22:36:38

Rosemary does well when neglected.
So does lavender.
And parsley.
Will keep thinking.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Aug-09 22:48:57

Lemon balm maybe - mine grows like a weed and smells gorgeous when you rub it.

How about scented geraniums - perlagoniums if you're a plant pedant, there are lots of different scented leaves. IMO the 'rose scented' ones are nicest. They would do well in pots; not frost hardy, mine come inside or I take cuttings to overwinter.

Puzzled how you kill mint... its usually invasive! Does like to be damp though. You might be able to grow a water mint in a non-drained pot, they smell just as good as the normal sort.

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 19-Aug-09 23:27:26

I think i drowned the mint, it can in a herb container thing i was given and had no drainage holes, left in sun and ignored. But i get the same sort of comments about the cati and without fail all of mine have had black rot and during a really bad RL patch so does the spider plants. blush

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Aug-09 23:35:19

Maybe water mint isn't such a silly idea thengrin - it thrives in shallow water.

midnightexpress Thu 20-Aug-09 09:44:12

The trouble with lavender, rosemary and also geraniums is that they much prefer full sun, and you have a mostly shady plot. Having said that, I have rosemary in a pot in our shady courtyard and it seems pretty happy - it doesn't seem to flower, but the leaves are still very roasemaryey.

Water mint a nice idea - you could make a wee pond in a half barrel?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now