Talk

Advanced search

How can you tell when sweetcorn is ready to pick?

(6 Posts)
zanz1bar Mon 17-Aug-09 10:46:05

That is it really, when do I pick sweetcorn?

slng Mon 17-Aug-09 11:25:35

That was what I was wondering as well. OK, quick google says:

"Harvest sweetcorn as it ripens. Push a fingernail into the kernel when the tassels at the end of the cob start to shrivel and brown. If the liquid is milky it indicates they are ready." From the Royal Horticultural Society, so should be quite reliable.

Madmentalbint Mon 17-Aug-09 11:36:01

Not sure when you should pick sweetcorn but it's worth cooking as soon as you possibly can after picking. The sooner you cook it, the better the flavour. I remember my husband running up the garden with freshly picked sweetcorn while I waited with the pan of boiling water. Sounds silly now but I swear it was the best sweetcorn I've EVER had I haven't grown sweetcorn for years (smaller garden now) and I'm rather jealous envy

quidnunc Mon 17-Aug-09 12:43:10

Oh, now you see I have always just planted it, then waited for an unusually large green-skinned man wearing a small skirt to pick it for me. He then pops it into nice tins as well. I suggest you wait a while to see if he comes.

frostyfingers Mon 17-Aug-09 15:57:22

He hasn't been here yet.....(Midlands)- hope he comes soon!

GardenersDelight Mon 17-Aug-09 16:31:27

Usually ready when the 'hairy' bits sticking out the top are turning dark brown smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now