Talk

Advanced search

6 friggin courgette plants and NOT ONE COURGETTE! IS this a record?

(14 Posts)
midnightexpress Sat 15-Aug-09 16:51:29

So fed up with the great sprawling beasts. I grew them from seed, had two in grow bags, which flowered like mad and then turned up their toes. Four more in the garden, all flowering and NO courgettes.

Harumph.

Hopefully Sat 15-Aug-09 19:35:23

Me too! Although I only have two plants. I think one of them briefly contemplated growing a courgette before finally completely dying...

sis Sat 15-Aug-09 20:27:33

Yep, I think six plants and no courgettes by mid-August is a record!

foxinsocks Sat 15-Aug-09 20:29:02

oh how annoying

the ones at the PYO didn't look their normal happy selves so maybe the early sun in June wasn't a good thing for courgettes <have no idea if this is bollocks or not>

did you grow anything else?

I have become quite fixated by growing fruit and veg but we only have a yard (paved) so I had to grow in pots. Was fun though.

EccentricaUsesTheDMForBogRoll Sat 15-Aug-09 20:29:33

I have 5 butternut squash plants and not one single flower let alone fruit.

bastards.

ProfYaffle Sat 15-Aug-09 20:31:13

My plants all died too. I grew them from seed but they had a virus, was ankle deep in courgettes last year, not a one this year.

midnightexpress Mon 17-Aug-09 10:30:28

Oh, glad it's not just me. Everyone was telling me how I'd be knee-deep in courgettes with 6 plants and nada. And I bet if any do make it as far as courgettes the slugs will get them before I do.

foxinsocks, yes, we've had a splendid crop of potatoes, just coming to an end now with some rather yummy Ratte maincrops. The kale is bustin' out all over, and the leeks I have in for winter are doing ok. Blueberries, beetroot, radishes all good, and the cabbages, brussels and broccoli all look OK (though I did have to do some serial killing of caterpillars at the weekend).

CoffeeCrazedMama Mon 17-Aug-09 16:17:05

3 courgette plants - a few courgettes but they have rotted before ripening. Seems to start at the flower end and creep up the fruit. Six little squash plants and so far just the one squash. sad Dh will rejoice at this thread - he is so annoyed as last year (our first year at veggie growing) we only had male flowers, so a second year of failure for us.

Tomatoes a triumph though!smile

GardenersDelight Mon 17-Aug-09 16:29:30

Sorry to gloat but I'm having the opposite problem cant give them away quick enough, shame I cant pass any on to you sad

Bettymum Mon 17-Aug-09 16:36:37

More courgette glut here...specially with this rain and warm weather they grow into marrows practically overnight. And my squash plants are now rampaging around threatening to squash everything in their path.
If you've got flowers on your plants in the garden though, you should get courgettes I think? I doubt they'd grow in growbags as they need lots of food (manure dug into the soil) and moisture.
If your flowers don't turn into courgettes I can post you some marrows

missingtheaction Sat 22-Aug-09 12:26:19

if you are getting flowers then some should be male and some female. Keep watering and feeding them and they may yet deliver some fruit.

also check that they are not rotting or getting slugged before they develop into courgettes. if they are rotting cut them off with a knife, and put something dry under them or raise them on a stone or something to keep them off the ground.

mine haven't been great this year and the best fruting bit has some sort of virus so they are all knobbly but it's still churning them out

Smithagain Sat 22-Aug-09 14:46:31

Glad it's not just us. Was feeling guilty about having neglegted them in some unexplained manner.

We have two courgette plants and three marrows. Have had about three courgettes and three marrows in total. And now the courgette plants look like they're dying back sad

chestnutty Sat 05-Sep-09 21:50:17

I always give squashes ansd courgettes a helping hand in the sex department.
Pick a male flower and place the pollen from it into the female ( has a bulbous lump behind the flower).
even with this method I only have 3 pumpkins from 6 plants this year. All hand pollinated. There seemed to be lots of males and very few females. Think poor growth of plants had a lot to do with lack of sunshine.

fishie Sat 05-Sep-09 21:54:44

me too, three courgette plants and four fruits. also have one small aubergine and am too scared to pick it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now