Talk

Advanced search

I am never growing pumpkins again!

(8 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 13-Aug-09 11:21:29

I had no idea they took up so much space shock When we got back from hols our plant had taken over the entire veggie patch and was making a break for two neighbours gardens.

I've pruned it back vigorously but I swear over night it has visibly grown again. It is now 9 meters long and is making a break sideways across the lawn and trying to strangle an apple tree.

I'm a bit scared that one day we will wake up and find we can't get out of our house!

Uriel Thu 13-Aug-09 11:22:57

Wait till Halloween - it'll be peering in your windows! wink

OrmIrian Thu 13-Aug-09 11:25:01

And be aware that if it's been growing over any lawn that will be buggered too! We still have brown patches from a squash plant that tried to take over the world a few years ago.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 13-Aug-09 11:25:12

oooooo, don't!!! I only have recently got over a pumpkin phobia first started by a scary 'Words and Pictures' episode that iirc had a scary man with a pumpkin head.

Thats it, I'm going out with an axe. Its me versus the pumpkin.

babyicebean Sat 15-Aug-09 17:01:32

Must be something in the air we have a courgette plant that seems to have world domination plans.

Hopefully Sat 15-Aug-09 19:36:32

My pumpkin is trailing beautifully along the length of one wall. It is enormous and very pretty and nice, but showing not the least sign of producing a pumpkin, the little bugger.

PlumBumMum Sat 15-Aug-09 19:38:40

Something nibbled on mine last yearsad, so I never bothered this year

VulpusinaWilfsuit Sat 15-Aug-09 19:57:27

I believe it is possible to train the shoots into a spiral to take up less room but we've never tried it with ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now