Talk

Advanced search

should I just give up on brassicas

(2 Posts)
katiestar Wed 12-Aug-09 17:46:21

I've never had any success with them .However hard I try they always ger eaten by something - rabbits , birds ,slugs,caterpillars.This morning I found loads of butterfly eggs on the underside of my curly kale leaves and spent ages rubbing off as many as I could find but all the time more butterflies were fluttering about and trying to get on them.
Then I spent this afternoon building a framework of bamboo canes and old bits of horticultural fleece to completely enclose them.But now of course I can't in to check the leaves easily.My book says they need checking for slugs/eggs daily
Is it really worth growing them? Has anyone got any tips ?

ShellingPeas Wed 12-Aug-09 21:59:42

The only way I ever got brassicas to grow on my allotment was to plant them, put the little cardboard circles around the base to keep out clubroot, then cover the whole row in a fine mesh cage as soon as they were planted to keep out the pigeons, rabbits and butterflies. I used to lift it once a week to put down a barrier to keep out the slugs (grit/egg shells/coffee) and then cover them back up again.

Time consuming but I did have some lovely cabbages and kale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now