Talk

Advanced search

Why aren't my tomatoes going red?

(29 Posts)
liahgen Tue 11-Aug-09 08:52:01

I have moneymakers and also some small ones and lots of fruit onbig bushes but I'm wondering if my plants are so bushy the sun isn't getting to the fruit to ripen it.

They're in a sunny spot but how long do they take to go red

Sorry not very interesting question.

tia

ApplesinmyPocket Tue 11-Aug-09 08:55:31

Not enough sun this year I think Mine aren't ripe yet either. I haven't given up hope yet though - they will carry on ripening until the plant dies down and even a bit afterwards.

If the plant dies completely and the 'matoes are still green, laying them on a garden table in the sun may encourage some red in those resolutely green cheeks.

I once read that one could wrap unwripe ones in newspaper and leave them in a closed drawer. I can't remember if that worked or not - I suspect not and that we had an awful lot of chutney that year!

liahgen Tue 11-Aug-09 08:58:17

I don't really ike chutney so shall wish for some sun then.

Thank you, suspect may be a sun issue then. That's good, this is the first year they've actually grown well.

flashharriet Tue 11-Aug-09 09:00:06

I've had a few red ones off my Tumbler but nothing off Moneymaker and Gardener's Delight yet. I've got everything crossed as last year I lost the whole lot to blight sad.

frostyfingers Tue 11-Aug-09 09:50:03

Mine too are not happy - a few red ones coming through, but the plants themselves look pretty rough. Not sure how many I'm going to have which is really disappointing. Damn weather! On the other hand I've had some lovely cucumbers so it's not all bad.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 11-Aug-09 10:07:31

Mine are not red either.

There was however a lovely recipe for fried green sliced tomatoes in the paper last weekend which I'm going to resort to in a couple of weeks if they don't ripen.

MissisBoot Tue 11-Aug-09 10:16:57

have you been pinching out regularly? they shouldn't be bushy more tall and thin.

GentleOtter Tue 11-Aug-09 10:22:39

Try putting them in a paper bag with a banana. The ethylene gas from the banana should help to ripen them up.

MitchyInge Tue 11-Aug-09 10:22:59

wow

I came here to start this very thread! Fried green tomatoes all round then, glad it's not just me

gardeningmum05 Tue 11-Aug-09 12:10:08

just got my 1st couple of red ones, loads of green though, come on you reds wink

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 12-Aug-09 09:02:44

Some of ours are ripening. We have a bumper crop this year. Its very exciting as I've never got through blight before.

JustcallmeDog Wed 12-Aug-09 09:04:07

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 12-Aug-09 10:07:54

Thats odd! No sign of flowers on them?

JammyQueenOfTheSewers Wed 12-Aug-09 10:30:21

No red tomatos here either (yet - hopeful!)

WriggleJiggle Wed 12-Aug-09 10:32:27

Mine are just starting to go red.

lucykate Wed 12-Aug-09 10:38:54

all ours are still green. i like my toms under ripe though. isn't there a trick with picking them, and putting them in a bag with a banana skin to make them go ripe?

lucykate Wed 12-Aug-09 10:39:49

ah, just spotted go's post about the banana!

deepdarkwood Wed 12-Aug-09 10:40:23

We've had a few red ones - but ours are against a sunny wall to minimise chutney making smile

JustcallmeDog Wed 12-Aug-09 19:41:28

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 12-Aug-09 22:09:21

Don't give up hope then , they just sound late. Might be challenging to get them ripe but green tomato chutney is yum and easy!

lucykate Wed 12-Aug-09 23:40:00

i spoke too soon, i have one tomato just starting to turn red!

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 12-Aug-09 23:46:37

mine arent going red but forgot to feed the plants and suspect they might need a bit to pick up. Just transfered to mini greenhouse as dad reckons a bit of extra heat (and sun due to location) will help. Not sure i hold out faith this year. Eggs on the potatoes then. At least the runner beans have been yummy - if late

GrimmaTheNome Wed 12-Aug-09 23:52:49

Mine have started that thing where they go brown at the stalk end and drop off sad. Is that due to them having got dry while I was on hols? Can I prevent the rest going the same way?

Pity, because this year looked like my first decent crop. I don't expect red before september up here, but I like chutney anyway so don't much care what colour they turn out - so long as not brown!

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 13-Aug-09 11:12:59

At the stalk end? [puzzled] I only know blossom end rot which is brown at the bottom.

I'd water them little and often if they have got dry so they don't burst.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 13-Aug-09 11:25:43

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now