Talk

Advanced search

Winter veg gardens - will you have one?

(19 Posts)
Doozle Fri 07-Aug-09 12:04:10

I'm quite keen to expand growing my veg into the winter.

Have previously only grown summer stuff.

Does anyone here regularly grow their veg in the winter and if so, have you have got any wisdom to share?

I'm thinking of ordering some plug plants (ie from Rocket Gardens) as might be late starting from seed now?

potplant Fri 07-Aug-09 12:05:58

Just bookmarking - I am also interested but not sure what to grow.

marenmj Fri 07-Aug-09 12:15:46

bookmarking too... very interested since I am starting my veg patch so late in the year I won't get much out of it.

Doozle Fri 07-Aug-09 12:20:25

I've been looking at Rocket Gardens as they send you all the plants ready to go in the garden in September.

www.rocketgardens.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=392

Think Lilyloo recommended them on a different thread. Doesn't seem cheap but I guess if you've left it late, not sure what other options you have.

ShrinkingViolet Fri 07-Aug-09 12:58:01

this lot look cheaper than rocket gardens - I'm planning on givign them a go in my new will be ready when DH does the hard digging veg plot. Also you can plant potatoes now to be ready for Christmas according to this site.

Doozle Fri 07-Aug-09 13:11:03

Hi shrinkingviolet, your link takes me back to this thread. Would you mind posting it again?

ShrinkingViolet Fri 07-Aug-09 13:27:44

sorry, must try harder wink.

here

works this time I think...

Doozle Fri 07-Aug-09 17:42:22

Thanks, will take a look at the site.

ShrinkingViolet Fri 07-Aug-09 19:17:52

I've ordered both the winter veg and the potatoes, so will let you know what they're like.

Doozle Fri 07-Aug-09 19:34:35

Great, keep me posted, be good to hear how you get on. I'm quite interested in the potatoes idea so might give that a go.

I've just sown some dwarf beans today as apparently should get a good autumn crop from them before it gets too cold. Live in London anyway so it never gets really cold here. Fingers crossed.

YouLukaAmazing Fri 07-Aug-09 19:42:00

Message withdrawn

Takver Sat 08-Aug-09 12:35:58

Not to late to sow seeds - loads of stuff you can still sow now . . . (oriental veg - mizuna, komatsuna, mustard greens, pak choi etc, also winter salads - lettuce, cress etc, kale et al)

YouLukaAmazing Sat 08-Aug-09 12:39:42

Message withdrawn

Ripeberry Sat 08-Aug-09 12:42:02

Onions are always good to grow over winter. Means you have lovely red onions to use in summer salads. Best thing to do with the ground in winter is to dig it over and put manure on it grin

Takver Sat 08-Aug-09 16:57:44

Forgot about spring cabbage, not so keen on it myself (prefer kale) but lots of people like it

Doozle Mon 10-Aug-09 11:29:36

Thanks for sowing suggestions too.

Ordered some potatoes and broccoli plants as per shrinkingviolet's post. Also some oyester and shitake mushroom kits - that's going to be a new thing. We have lots of shade in one part so thought might be a way to put that area to good use.

Sallie Sun 06-Sep-09 21:57:29

I have ordered the Rocket Garden large garden selection for Autumn/Winter already. Looks like a lot of stuff and good selection - will let you know how it goes....

nicefleece Sun 06-Sep-09 22:06:18

Hello,

Japanese onion sets, Kale, Pak Choi and winter lettuce.
You can plant ovewinter broad beans in Nov, and think about currants / raspberries etc for planting over winter

I have grown veg for years, and with 2 small sprogs, the best thing I have is autumn rasberries - you cut them down to ground at Christmas AND THAT IS IT! They spread, the kids love them, the birds leave them alone and they are no hassle.

Next up is kale - easy and over winter, then I love sprouts! Apart from that, early spring lettuce in a greenhouse always makes me smile, but I am a bit sad.

I always plant beetroot, but no-one eats it.

hellion Sat 19-Sep-09 20:34:17

Just popped in - thanks so much for the advice on this thread. I was looking at my allottment today and wondering what should go in next.

Also any suggestions for white fly on my cabbages, sprouts. Organic if poss - but I may be tempted to go down the chemical route if it means they survive this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now